Iodine levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertfah

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is the recommended iodine level to allow shrimp and crabs to molt correctly?

One of my cleaner shrimp has a black spot on his side and other sites say it's an iodine deficiency problem.

Any ideas?

Iodine is one of the few things that I dont test for. But when I add to my tank I under dose whatever the directions say. Less is better. I use the Lugol`s Iodine solution from kent. Most people say you dont need to dose for iodine,that PWC will take care of the problem. But I have a heavy invert load.

In just over 12 years now, I've not tested for nor added iodine and my inverts don't appear to have suffered any.

The only reason I do is because I have a Shrimp,crab and a lobster. All three are good size.

I do dose with iodine, and I notice a DEFINITE difference from when I didn't. My hermits and shrimp molt much more often, and my ricordeas have more vibrant colors, especially the dark pigmented purples and deep reds. My only beef with it is the shrimp seem to age faster... perhaps from accelerated growth. Its not so noticeable with scarlet skunks, but my peppermints definitely age faster. They grow, spawn, and die in about a third of the time they did without iodine. But I'd rather get more peppermints than give up the benefits I've noticed with my softy corals. I dose with half the recommended dose of iodide and half the dose of iodine, in conjunction with each other, it seems that I get better benefits. I've also noticed (perhaps coincidental) a increase in corraline. I believe Dr. Fosters and Smith have a sale on iodine and iodide test kits right now.

Back
Top Bottom