Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-19-2004, 05:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
Iodine Question

I think the most intelligent rule I've heard concerning aquariums so far has been that you shouldn't add trace elements that you don't test for. Well, I've heard that soft corals thrive with additions of iodine, but I have yet to see a test for iodine. Am I just unlucky in my search to find one, or do they not exist?

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 05:57 PM   #2
cj10488

They do Exist.. Salifert I know makes Iodine.. I believe Darin @ captivereefs.com should be able to hook you up with one...

FWIW I would never add Iodine to my tank as really it should not be needed if you are doing regular water changes..

HTH<
James
Old 01-19-2004, 06:29 PM   #3

I use Lugols Solution about once every 2 weeks.. I notice great results... I do not agree with the water change idea providing you have enough soft corals to use up the iodide fast enough...if not, then water changes are or should be sufficient.. When you have a tank full of soft corals such as Xenia, Zoos, Leathers, as well as hermits, stars, snails, etc., these all use iodide and can use it up quicker than you do water changes.. I do water changes every 2 weeks to a month and by that time, the iodine is down to undetectable levels...
Old 01-20-2004, 12:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How much and how often should Gauge add Iodine?
Old 01-20-2004, 12:37 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I definitely recommend getting a test kit. I was surprised to find that my xenia's, star polyps, cleaner shrimp, and crabs were reducing iodine to undetectable levels despite regular water changes. I'm finding that I need to dose 1 ml every other day in my 20 gallon tank. I was nervous about dosing this level of iodine, but I'm trusting my test kit and my tank seems to be doing well.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
How much and how often should Gauge add Iodine?
Mileage may vary depending on livestock, so he and anyone else should get a test kit as mentioned and then add enough to maintain levels. The product should state how much will cause "x" amount of change in the tank.

HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com