Ionic Balance??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

awillemd1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can someone help me understand or at least attempt to help me understand the concept of 'ionic balance'? :? I have seen it mentioned in many posts related to calcium levels and KH, but I don't see it mentioned in any of my reference books. My last measurements two weeks ago indicated that my Calcium level was 435 ppm and my KH was 8.6 dkH or 3.09 meq/L. Is this in 'ionic balance'? Are there other ions that play into this relationship that I need to be measuring?

Thanks once again for any help anyone can give me here. :)

awillemd1

My last measurements two weeks ago indicated that my Calcium level was 435 ppm and my KH was 8.6 dkH or 3.09 meq/L. Is this in 'ionic balance'?

Your alk is a touch low, but don't get too caught up in the "numbers game". If your corals look healthy and are growing, and you are getting good coraline growth, then I wouldn't try to *fix* anything. The balance between ca/alk/pH speaks more to acceptable "ranges" then it does absolute numbers.

To get a general *jist* of how ca/alk balances, here is a good site calculator:

http://www.andy-hipkiss.co.uk/index.htm?http://www.andy-hipkiss.co.uk/caalkcalc.htm

And here is a link that explains a little more on Ionic balancing ... >>Ionic Imbalance ~ Jimmy Chen<<

HTH,

I agree with Reeflady that the "numbers game" can be a bad thing to "fix". However, some people have numbers that need to be fixed. For example, if CA was below 350, something would have to be done to correct it.

Your numbers are pretty good and pretty well balanced. I wouldn't touch a thing.

Thank you both very much. :D (I am on a steep learning curve here, but loving it!) I actually haven't attempted corals yet. I am trying to get everything in balance before I take that next step. I have had the aquarium up and running for about 6 months and it has only been in the last month that I have started to see some coraline algae growth, so I guess I am finally making some progress! :lol:

willemd1

Back
Top Bottom