Irma troubles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
getting ready for hurricane Irma here in Orlando. Hoping that power outages won't last long. Worried about my tank and how to keep flow going in it if we do lose power. Guess scooping up water and pouring it back in the tank will be my best option. For all in the path of Irma...stay safe

Stay safe.
Battery powered air pumps might be your best bet for aeration if available.
Doing what you've suggested will work in a pinch. If you have a CLEAN watering can with a sprinkle head then that should help.
I would hold off on feeding to keep the nutrient level down. Good luck!

thanks fresh2o.
Forecast is looking a little better. Maybe only 80 or so mph winds here in orlando. Yesterday it was 100+ mph winds

Glad to hear that you are safe.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Found this on a social media site. Helpful overall advice for preparing for a major weather event:
A must read!!! Floridians prepare NOW! It's already crazy out there..
A few hurricane tricks for those who may need it:
1. Start running your ice makers now and bagging the ice in freezer bags. Fill as much space in between your freezer items as you can.
2. Freeze regular tap water for pets, cleaning or drinking in tupperware-type containers. REMEMBER to leave a small bit of space between the top of the water & the lids so the ice expands but doesn't crack the container.
3. Start using up your perishables to make more room for ice in the freezer.
4. Fill up all vehicles & check tires & oil. Fill up any gas containers you may have.
5. Cash from ATM, at least enough to get you through tolls and gas out of town. Call your bank if you plan on leaving the state so they don't freeze your card for out-of-area "suspicious" transactions.
6. All important docs screenshot & send to your email. Take originals in sealed bags or plastic bins.
7. Pet & livestock food & supplies. Vet records in case you need to shelter then at a storm-safe facility.
8. Evacuation plans and share with family members so they know where you're headed.
9. Consider putting heirlooms & photos in plastic bins in a high place, second floor, or safe room if you don't plan on taking
them with you.
10. SECURE ALL FIREARMS & AMMUNITION PROPERLY.
11. Old rags & beach towels on your windowsills. Even with the best windows & shutters, water seeping from the wind pressure happens. A few damp towels is better than soaked drywall or floors!
12. Shutter windows and doors and bring everything outside into your garage or house NOW. Do not wait until the day before. Better to get done early and relax than wait until its too late, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE MANDATORY PERSONNEL (hospital employee or first responder).
13. If you don't already have your hurricane supplies, you might want to get them now. Shelves are already empty in most places.
14. Stock up on dry goods, bottles of water.
15. If you have a grill, stock up on propane.
16. Fill your tubs with water to flush your toilets with.
17. Lower your pool water to prevent flooding from that.
18. Take pictures of your house & possessions, outside and inside, for possible insurance claims
Feel free to copy & paste! Let's share this post & spread the word!

Well,we made it through the storm although Irma decided to take a turn towards Orlando at the last minute. We had no power here for 7 days. But good luck was on our side. Our daughter had a friend that let us use their generator. My tank was only down for 2 days. So...what was the first thing I plugged in? You guessed it, my tank:lol: A small AC was next followed by the frig. Happy to say nothing was lost.

Back
Top Bottom