Is 20 gallon tank okay for salt water set up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andy.keeper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gallon tank, it's bust keeping fresh water at the moment, I have a friend who owns a shop supplying fish and all things related who will take them from me, I really want salt water fish, I see some set ups on here and I have to verbally say wow, and also, if it is big enough, do I need special sealant? Or filters? Thanks guys, appreciate the time you give.

I have a 20 gallon tank, it's bust keeping fresh water at the moment, I have a friend who owns a shop supplying fish and all things related who will take them from me, I really want salt water fish, I see some set ups on here and I have to verbally say wow, and also, if it is big enough, do I need special sealant? Or filters? Thanks guys, appreciate the time you give.

Now, any tank is fine for saltwater, personally I prefer smaller tanks for nano reef. So much easier doing water changes, that to say saltwater isn't as hard as they make it out to be but you def need to research. Lots and lots before diving in.

Yes it is!

Items you'll need:

Refractometer
Power head
Live Rock (or dry) about 20lbs
live sand AT LEAST 10lbs
Sump (not needed but would help)
Refugium (made in an AC 70)
reef crystals/salt
RO/DI water

Sounds expensive, I live near the beach, can I just go and get a bucket of sand from there? Lol

Sure you could.. BUT things to consider if that's what you want to do.. beach sand is generally extremely salty so you would need to clean is very well. Also note that unfortunately a large majority of the oceans water is polluted, so you have to take that into consideration as well.

TL;DR

You can use the sand, but it will be a hassle to make aquarium safe.

BUT on the positive note.. Go test your sea water near your house. If it tests out to be clean then by all means use that in your aquarium

Do not use water you can get off a beach or where ever. This will bring pollutants into your system that will make it difficult to keep livestock alive. These pollutants aren't good in the ocean, but it is diluted down by the water in an ocean instead of a 20 gallon system.

Yes it is!

Items you'll need:

Refractometer
Power head
Live Rock (or dry) about 20lbs
live sand AT LEAST 10lbs
Sump (not needed but would help)
Refugium (made in an AC 70)
reef crystals/salt
RO/DI water
What is a refractometer? And a refugium? I got no idea about marine tanks, fresh I can do, and ro/di water?

A refractometer tests the sG of your water (specific gravity) or salinity is more commonly known as. You want to keep it right around 1.025 and 1.026. They are self explanatory to use.

For the ro/di water you can just use a distilled water from your local grocery store. It's water that is strictly water with no additives or trace elements

Back
Top Bottom