Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

It says not to exceed 1ml per gal in 24 hours. When is your next pwc? The best time to dose Part 1 of B-Ionic is before lights are off. That is because PH and Alk tends to go down at night. Just make sure no precipitation occurs after dosing.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My next pwc is goin to be next Friday.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you ever had an alkaline reading between 8 to 12 at all? Your Mg and Ca are good. KH is a buffer of PH. If your PH is stable I would just wait until the next pwc and take another reading. If it still don't go up to 8, I would get another test kit. Another thing you can do also is crank up your water surface agitation and see if PH will increase a bit.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My pH has been 8-8.1. Im not sure though if the test kit is the problem because i have the API and Red Sea and i always compare the test if i am in doubt with the results. I would say the Red Sea is slightly higher than the API results but more like the tenths..
Old 07-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
It says not to exceed 1ml per gal in 24 hours. When is your next pwc? The best time to dose Part 1 of B-Ionic is before lights are off. That is because PH and Alk tends to go down at night. Just make sure no precipitation occurs after dosing.
So this means im not gonna dose today, right? Should there be like an initial dose and maintenance dose or i just have to dose the same amount every other day or whenever the alkalinity is falling down?
Old 07-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you have 40 gal tank and you already dosed 22ml, that means you can only dose about 18 ml more before end of 24 hrs. There is a precaution though. You should have started just 5 ml per 20 gal each day then gradually increase your dose to reach desired KH. I presume you don't does any other elements.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nope. my other elements are just fine its just the KH that's a prob right now. 24hours has passed already since I dosed yesterday at 9:30am. Going to check my water now to see what the numbers are.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:19 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So now my KH went down again to 6.7dkh with the Red Sea test kit and my ph went up to 8.4.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

In that case large water change is the solution.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If it were me, I would leave the chemicals alone for a bit and do some water changes. Messing with additives can make matters worse.

Once you get to the ideal dkh with water changes I would then monitor it to see how fast it drops as well as how fast your calcium/magnesium drop. this will tell you how long your tank can go with just the water changes before you have to supplement.

What is the alkalinity of the fresh water that you put in? Does it drop after it;'s added? or are you starting out with low alkalinity?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com