is 7.6dkh kH, low?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Could also be what salt is being used. I have a buddy who couldn't get the dkh he needed with reef crystals, changed to dnd salt and it instantly went to where he needed it.

Alright, I will not dose anything from now on and just have to do big water change to see if that will correct the problem. I'm going to start collecting my water now and maybe do 50% water change on Wednesday.

How many water change should I do before I should be consideing dosing?

Ok I did a 50% water change last Friday and im about to test my water today. What is the best time to check my water if im concerned about the alkalinity?

Immediately after lights off, that's when your PH will be highest. Morning before lights on should be lowest. Kh doesn't seem to vary the same way, so when it's convenient should be okay.

Alright so here is my water now. At 1.025 SG i have my pH at 8.1, kH=5.9, calc=420, mag=1280 (this is an hour after the lights turned off)

My freshly mixed water in the bin before i added it to the tank was

At 1.025 SG i had my
PH 8.2
KH 8.7
Calc 460
Mag1320

What should I do now? Been like weeks that my KH keep changing from 8 dkh and to as low as 4.3dkh

Edited

I dose alk and cal daily 40ml of both. Alk 9.8-9.1 cal 400 sometimes I dose more cal to raise it. If you are lps or softie heavy your alk will lower quicker. I would dose two part like you been and when you test keep a log of how much you add and how the reading go up. Test daily until you figure out how much is needed to maintain proper levels then test bi weekly. I use kent salt alk is 9.1 and I have to dose. Things grow!!!!!

When did you switch to Kent and how many times have you done pwc? Your calcium reactor might be affecting it.

I switched to kent maybe a month ago or so. And I've been doing pwc every week 20-30% of the water. I pretty much have kent salt in the water of my tank now since I have used up more like 80 gals of the salt already. And ohh i don't have calcium reactor

Ohh I Forgot to mention when I tested my water earlier it was an hour after the lights when off cause i fell asleep lol

I dose alk and cal daily 40ml of both. Alk 9.8-9.1 cal 400 sometimes I dose more cal to raise it. If you are lps or softie heavy your alk will lower quicker. I would dose two part like you been and when you test keep a log of how much you add and how the reading go up. Test daily until you figure out how much is needed to maintain proper levels then test bi weekly. I use kent salt alk is 9.1 and I have to dose. Things grow!!!!!

How would I determine how much to dose? I have dosed before and then stopped because i wasn't sure if i was doing it right. Do I dose gradually and increase the amount day by day? Or I have to dose an initial or starting amount (like 25 ml) and Then just a maintenance amount (maybe 5ml) everyday ?

Alright so here is my water now. At 1.025 SG i have my pH at 8.1, kH=5.9, calc=420, mag=1280 (this is an hour after the lights turned off)

My freshly mixed water in the bin before i added it to the tank was

At 1.025 SG i had my
PH 8.2
KH 8.7
Calc 460
Mag1320

What should I do now? Been like weeks that my KH keep changing from 8 dkh and to as low as 4.3dkh

Edited

Comparing your current readings to your previous readings it shows your Calc and Mag are dropping down as well as your KH.

NO4=2ppm
PO3=0.64ppm
Ca=535
KH=7.6
Mg=1420
Ph=8.2

That tells me your corals are consuming them. You should have taken the readings a day after your pwc and then 3 days after so you know how much they drop. I wonder if using both chemi pure and gfo together is a good idea.

Yeah I missed that step. I have recorded the water test I did a day prior to my water change though. It was PH at 8, KH-7, calc-435, mag-1240. Maybe I should wait another pwc this thurs or fri and do the test. But then should I leave my KH as is?

How would I determine how much to dose? I have dosed before and then stopped because i wasn't sure if i was doing it right. Do I dose gradually and increase the amount day by day? Or I have to dose an initial or starting amount (like 25 ml) and Then just a maintenance amount (maybe 5ml) everyday ?

I would 25ml in morning then that night test or if you have time test the next morning. Log it for a couple days and then you will figure out how much. If it went up one then try 30 when you get it were its safe then drop it down to half. Testing and logging you will see a pattern then you will know exactly how much to add were ever it's at. Took me two weeks.

Quick ? What's wrong with the alk being 7 I keep mine between 7-8 no higher and with your salt at 1.025 I don't think you should go higher than 8. With that said I had the same problem at startup I used baking soda mixed with rodi water to get my alk up then once where I wanted it I went back to esv there's a calculator you can use will try find it and post.

Any where between 8-12. Stability is key, my lfs looks for around 10.5 in there tanks. Mine is 9.1-9.8. When my acans started to melt it was 5.6 they fully recovered and I'm seeing good growth in corals and clams.

Any where between 8-12. Stability is key, my lfs looks for around 10.5 in there tanks. Mine is 9.1-9.8. When my acans started to melt it was 5.6 they fully recovered and I'm seeing good growth in corals and clams.

Ok once it works for you but if your tank salt is at 1.025 there's a cal,alk,mag level to match your salt level look it up. If you use the calculator it will also tell you what your salt should be at when you cal,alk and mag is at a level.

Back
Top Bottom