is 7.6dkh kH, low?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daney90

Aquarium Advice FINatic
After using API test kit for a while i saved up money to get a Red Sea test kit. Also, I jut recently changed my salt from reef crystal to kent a month or two ago. So here is my water are zero on ammonia and nitrite

NO4=2ppm
PO3=0.64ppm
Ca=535
KH=7.6
Mg=1420
Ph=8.2

I mainly have Lps in my tank but my frogspawn and acans are not looking fat. Is this because my KH is low? And should I be concerned on my nitrate and phosphate?

I wouldnt stress the nitrates, though a few extra water changes and it should zero out. I keep my tanks at about 9dkh so youre pretty close. I believe the normal range is 8-12.
The phosphates are a different story though. While its under 1 its still high. Are you using ro/di water? even for top offs?

Yes, I use RODI with a tds reading of 2. I also use chemi pure and gfo reactor which I think its time to change the media on both lol!!! :) I'll change the chemi pure today and maybe the gfo for next week :)

Really should change di resin when you get it flickering between 0 and 1. The resin is only 11 or so dollars and that 11 dollars to have 0 TdS is worth it in my book.

Also 7.6 is a hair low. Could be a few different factors. Easiest and cheapest is get fresh air flowing over the tank. Sometimes homes just have a lot of co2 in the air and it will lower your dkh.

I'm not sure if KH fluctuates due to air inside the house but I am 100% it will have an effect on the PH :)

like a product? I tried searching it up and found nothing. I have the bionic two part but should I go ahead and dose or its not really necessary?

Sorry, it's "Aqua Vitro - Eight.Four" I dose 3-5 times a week my alkalinity is constantly low, the rest of my numbers are pretty close to yours.

I'm not sure if KH fluctuates due to air inside the house but I am 100% it will have an effect on the PH :)

Air circulation will not effect KH but can have a major effect on PH. Your KH acts towards the ability of the water to resist PH changes, it acts as a buffer. PO3 at .6ppm is okay for fish, but .05 is what you are shooting for coral.

Air circulation will not effect KH but can have a major effect on PH. Your KH acts towards the ability of the water to resist PH changes, it acts as a buffer. PO3 at .6ppm is okay for fish, but .05 is what you are shooting for coral.
thanks greg for that knowledge. so now i have to check my ph often to see if it changes everyday? and during the day?

that phosphate is another prob too :( How do I bring it down to .05? ii'm changing my chemipure tonight cause i think it's been there in my sump for 5 months now. Also thinking of changing my gfo media next week or so I won't shock the whole system.

that phosphate is another prob too :( How do I bring it down to .05? ii'm changing my chemipure tonight cause i think it's been there in my sump for 5 months now. Also thinking of changing my gfo media next week or so I won't shock the whole system.

That will help a lot.

I have noticed that when I was using IO Reef Crystals my calcium and KH were just going down and I have to dose with B-ionic part 1&2. I tried Kent but same thing. I finally found Coralife with lots of Calcium and higher KH. I do not even have to does anything. You can take the readings of the salt water before pouring it into your tank to verify my point.

I have noticed that when I was using IO Reef Crystals my calcium and KH were just going down and I have to dose with B-ionic part 1&2. I tried Kent but same thing. I finally found Coralife with lots of Calcium and higher KH. I do not even have to does anything. You can take the readings of the salt water before pouring it into your tank to verify my point.
I was having the same issue before too when I was using reef crystals. Now that I have kent everything seems pretty good but the KH. I still have that b-ionic KH, do you think I can use that to boost up my KH a little bit? would the other elements gets affected too if in dose KH?

Back
Top Bottom