Is a chiller necessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cplawrence

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am in the planning stages for a 29 gal and I am trying to determine what will be needed; hence the question. Last summer, my FW 29 gal got to about 85 or 86 during the hottest days. With that being the case, is a chiller necessary?
Thanks,
Chris

I am looking into the same thing. From what I have heard, you should try a fan first, and see what it can do. The drawback is that you will get more evaporation. In a 29 gallon, you would want to stay on top of water top offs, as the evaporation will change your SG quickly. But, a fan can be a cheaper alternative to a chiller. 85 to 86 is too hot though. Do you have your tank placed near a window?

I think they were inquiring if the tank received natural window light which can drive the temps up in your tank.

greenmaji said:
how about a window AC unit.. cheaper and you can get cooled at the same time.. :p

Best advice IMO. Most chillers run from $200-$1000 and you can get a window AC unit for as little as $150 from Home Depot or Lowes

Considering that you only need to chill a 29 gal you could probably get by using a “CoolWorks IceProbe” which still costs around $112.00 and that’s assuming you use a sump.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...4RS&ref=3312&subref=AA&GCID=C12188x003&ctt=60

Personally I’d rather also enjoy the cool temps for only $40 more using an AC unit :D

(Our house stays at 67-68 year round and I have two 200w heaters in my tank to keep it at 78-80)

Also plan on your tank needing to re-cycle again (4 to 6 weeks) from changing from FW to SW if you still plan on using the HOB along with LR before adding fish.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

Go with the window AC, I use a 5000 BTU too cool my 125 and it keeps it at 84 and under. I also run some other ACs for the rest of the house on real hot days. I also leave the tank doors open and the canopy cracked on real hot days. Fans also work.

i would go with the ac thing, a lot of people ask if they need a chiler. Why would you want to pay 500 dollars or a litle less to cool your tank by 5 degrees? is my question.

Only get a chiller if its abig tank with a lot of ivestment and you have them money or you have a fish that is strictly coldwater.

with bigger tanks or multiple tanks the humidity can be real taxing on your air
conditioning.. window or central air.. with a really big tank or alot of tanks I would also
suggest getting a decent sized dehumidifyer to bust your AC's effectiveness.. HTH

Back
Top Bottom