Is a Yellow Eye Kole compatable with a Powder Blue Tang?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patroklos

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,

I am thinking about getting a Yellow Eyed Kole instead of the Chevron Tang I was originally planning on, primarily because I can't find any Chevron Tangs.

Now, my previously concieved stocking plan has been thrown out of wack because I found an awesome LFS sale that let me get a normally eighty dollar PBT for thirty. I had planned on getting the PBT last of all, but fate intervened. So I saw a beautiful Kole at the LFS today and asked if it would coexist with my PBT, and he said that the PBT would probably beat it up. I was confused because I have seen PBTs and Koles in the same tank at LFS and they looked to get along fine. The fish have totally different colors and shapes, I figured it wouldn't be a problem.

So what do you all think, is this a match doomed to fail?

IMO I think you will be OK. I have a yellow eyed Kole tang along with a yellow and a scopas and the kole tang gets picked on the least because he is not similar body shape and color. The body shape of Kole tang is different from the Powder blue thus I would say you should be OK. Now if you were saying a powder blue and a powder brown then I would have a problem because of same body shape. I hope you understand what I`m saying. Make no mistake though the Powder Blue does have an attitude and I would worry about everyone in the tank. LOL BTW here is my Kole tang. He`s about 8 yrs old

img_923173_0_308be2cbc9a670c6634168574b165c61.jpg

Guess I'm not crazy about a PBT in a 65g. They are pretty sensitive fish IMO. Not the hardiest.

Now, if you add both together,they'll likely co-exist ok. Still, I'd think long and hard about a powder brown.

Last edited:
IMO I think you will be OK. I have a yellow eyed Kole tang along with a yellow and a scopas and the kole tang gets picked on the least because he is not similar body shape and color. The body shape of Kole tang is different from the Powder blue thus I would say you should be OK. Now if you were saying a powder blue and a powder brown then I would have a problem because of same body shape. I hope you understand what I`m saying. Make no mistake though the Powder Blue does have an attitude and I would worry about everyone in the tank. LOL BTW here is my Kole tang. He`s about 8 yrs old

Yeah, I agree about the body shape/color scheme thing. I personally think it would be okay, but I am not the one to throw the advice of an experianced and friendly LFS owner out the window because I what I "think." Obviously you are speaking from experiance as well since your Kole is 8 years old! I am leaning towards your opinion.

Guess I'm not crazy about a PBT in a 65g. They are pretty sensitive fish IMO. Not eh hardiest.

Now, if you add both together,they'll likely co-exist ok. Still, I'd think long and hard about a powder brown.

Yeah, the 65 is on the small side for a PBT or Kole, but my PBT has been in there for a month now and is happy and healthy at 4" long. The Kole will be the last "big" fish I will be getting. Beyond that I only intend on picking up a watchman goby, my focus is definetly shifting to corals/anemones from now on.

Yes good catch Ray. I didnt see that. There`s no way that a PBT should be in anything less than a 100 gallon tank. The Kole tang would be OK but both in a 65 I would not do. I should have looked a tank size. PBT are not the hardiest as Ray said. LA says 100 gallon minumum.

Saltwaterfish.com says minimum 50 gallons. Don't worry I am watching him. He is healthy and active and eats like a horse (if I'd let him) so I am not worried about him. This tank will only be established for a year and a half more max before I go back to sea and have to break it down, so I won't have him full grown.

My only comment is no way should there be 2 of any type of tangs in a 65g tank, let alone a powder blue.

That's like when you go out to sea and have to share your bed with another person. It won't be natural or comfortable and you would hate it, but you won't die from it.

Well, then what would coexist with a PBT in the 3-4 inch starting range? I am really suprised at the PBT/65 reaction, nobody online or in real life voiced any objection to that, they were only worried about it only being a three foot tank.

What I missed first is the PBT is already in there. He just might pick on the newcomer for a while. How's the size comparison between the two? I'd really consider leaving well enuf alone.

In a 65g tank? Nothing as far as a tang.

It doesn't have to be a tang, just something with some mass and color. I've looked at dwarf angels as well but none of the reef safe variety ever grace the tanks of my LFS.

What I missed first is the PBT is already in there. He just might pick on the newcomer for a while. How's the size comparison between the two? I'd really consider leaving well enuf alone.

They would both be about 4".

Be careful by going with tank sizes off of websites. They may not be giving you the full growth tank size, but instead, the size requirement for the size fish they would be shipping. (saltwaterfish.com says 90g actually) Tangs in general need lots of swimming room (which is why a 3ft tank isn't ideal) and a PBT shouldn't be in anything less than 100g IMO. They grow pretty fast too, something else to keep in mind. But, since you have him, I would just not bother with a second tang for your tank and see what happens with the PBT over time. Even with your limited time, you may end up having to trade it in for something smaller before you plan to. As for fish to add that would be suitable, there are many smaller fish like basslet, clowns, gobies, blennies, cardinals, damsels, psuedochromis, certain wrasses, etc. I would stick with the smaller fish and keep the PBT, if that's your intention, as the centerpiece fish for now.

I just noticed the list of fish that is already in your tank. I might add one or two small fish for color but that would be it for that size tank. JMO

Like I said, beyond the Kole or equivalent the only thing I will be adding fish wise is a Goby or equivalent, I really can't believe that one PBT can occupy an entire 65g water column by itself, especially one with a depth of 18" and I height of 24". If anything my tank looks under stocked. I am not discounting your advice by any means, it is much appreciated, but given that my PBT is healthy and happy shouldn't that really dictate what else is in the tank? I mean a 4-6 inch fish requireing so much room seems odd given other fish. I am not saying it is not true, but looking at the fish and its habits 100 galons seems like a tremendous waste of space given my particular example.

You guys are really disturbing me, especially since I asked ahead of time and nobody voiced any objections!

I can only speak for myself but I don't always have time to read every post so I'm sorry I missed it if you posted about the PBT earlier.
The 100g tank is necessary when the tang reaches it's adult length and this is normally what we aim for when getting fish. Usually, it's to keep the fish for the length of it's life and so we know it will be content the entire time. (I realize this is not the case for you since you mention you'll be shipping out in a year or so) It probably does seem like a huge waste of space now, but when the fish grows, it will make more sense. With the size and the need for lots of room to swim, larger is better. Tangs are swimmers and appreciate as much space as they can get. Cramped quarters can lead to health issues eventually as well.
We are not out to disturb you, only inform you. What you do with that info is up to you. I'm sure the fish will be fine in your tank for a while. Enjoy him while you can if that is your intention. I would just offer that you not consider another tang (or any other sizable fish). A goby is fine and there are other colorful small fish. Adding another tang or other large fish in such a small space is going to stress them both out and they will be hard pressed to find suitable territories with only 3ft to work with.

Last edited:
Well, thats four of the most experianced aquarium hobbyists I know telling me to throtle back, I suppose it is time to consider some nice damsals...

Back
Top Bottom