Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-11-2008, 05:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is a Yellow Eye Kole compatable with a Powder Blue Tang?

Hey all,

I am thinking about getting a Yellow Eyed Kole instead of the Chevron Tang I was originally planning on, primarily because I can't find any Chevron Tangs.

Now, my previously concieved stocking plan has been thrown out of wack because I found an awesome LFS sale that let me get a normally eighty dollar PBT for thirty. I had planned on getting the PBT last of all, but fate intervened. So I saw a beautiful Kole at the LFS today and asked if it would coexist with my PBT, and he said that the PBT would probably beat it up. I was confused because I have seen PBTs and Koles in the same tank at LFS and they looked to get along fine. The fish have totally different colors and shapes, I figured it wouldn't be a problem.

So what do you all think, is this a match doomed to fail?

1 Powder Blue Tang, 1 Yellow Eyed Kole Tang, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, 1 Talbot Damsel, 1 YWG, 1 Red Honey Damsel.
Patroklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:32 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

IMO I think you will be OK. I have a yellow eyed Kole tang along with a yellow and a scopas and the kole tang gets picked on the least because he is not similar body shape and color. The body shape of Kole tang is different from the Powder blue thus I would say you should be OK. Now if you were saying a powder blue and a powder brown then I would have a problem because of same body shape. I hope you understand what I`m saying. Make no mistake though the Powder Blue does have an attitude and I would worry about everyone in the tank. LOL BTW here is my Kole tang. He`s about 8 yrs old

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:39 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Guess I'm not crazy about a PBT in a 65g. They are pretty sensitive fish IMO. Not the hardiest.

Now, if you add both together,they'll likely co-exist ok. Still, I'd think long and hard about a powder brown.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:50 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Yes good catch Ray. I didnt see that. There`s no way that a PBT should be in anything less than a 100 gallon tank. The Kole tang would be OK but both in a 65 I would not do. I should have looked a tank size. PBT are not the hardiest as Ray said. LA says 100 gallon minumum.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Reef Aquariums: Powder Blue Tang

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
IMO I think you will be OK. I have a yellow eyed Kole tang along with a yellow and a scopas and the kole tang gets picked on the least because he is not similar body shape and color. The body shape of Kole tang is different from the Powder blue thus I would say you should be OK. Now if you were saying a powder blue and a powder brown then I would have a problem because of same body shape. I hope you understand what I`m saying. Make no mistake though the Powder Blue does have an attitude and I would worry about everyone in the tank. LOL BTW here is my Kole tang. He`s about 8 yrs old
Yeah, I agree about the body shape/color scheme thing. I personally think it would be okay, but I am not the one to throw the advice of an experianced and friendly LFS owner out the window because I what I "think." Obviously you are speaking from experiance as well since your Kole is 8 years old! I am leaning towards your opinion.

Quote:
Guess I'm not crazy about a PBT in a 65g. They are pretty sensitive fish IMO. Not eh hardiest.

Now, if you add both together,they'll likely co-exist ok. Still, I'd think long and hard about a powder brown.
Yeah, the 65 is on the small side for a PBT or Kole, but my PBT has been in there for a month now and is happy and healthy at 4" long. The Kole will be the last "big" fish I will be getting. Beyond that I only intend on picking up a watchman goby, my focus is definetly shifting to corals/anemones from now on.

1 Powder Blue Tang, 1 Yellow Eyed Kole Tang, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, 1 Talbot Damsel, 1 YWG, 1 Red Honey Damsel.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Yes good catch Ray. I didnt see that. There`s no way that a PBT should be in anything less than a 100 gallon tank. The Kole tang would be OK but both in a 65 I would not do. I should have looked a tank size. PBT are not the hardiest as Ray said. LA says 100 gallon minumum.
Saltwaterfish.com says minimum 50 gallons. Don't worry I am watching him. He is healthy and active and eats like a horse (if I'd let him) so I am not worried about him. This tank will only be established for a year and a half more max before I go back to sea and have to break it down, so I won't have him full grown.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:16 PM   #7
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
My only comment is no way should there be 2 of any type of tangs in a 65g tank, let alone a powder blue.

That's like when you go out to sea and have to share your bed with another person. It won't be natural or comfortable and you would hate it, but you won't die from it.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, then what would coexist with a PBT in the 3-4 inch starting range? I am really suprised at the PBT/65 reaction, nobody online or in real life voiced any objection to that, they were only worried about it only being a three foot tank.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:23 PM   #9
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
In a 65g tank? Nothing as far as a tang.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

What I missed first is the PBT is already in there. He just might pick on the newcomer for a while. How's the size comparison between the two? I'd really consider leaving well enuf alone.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue tang, eye, powder, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com