Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2006, 11:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is adding pair of naso tangs as last fish trouble?

I currently have a purple, sailfin, regal, and convict tang. Are the naso tangs really aggressive if added last?

Old 01-18-2006, 12:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to ChazYork
i would assume from all that i have READ and with no personal experience that it would be safe to add the tangs last. take your normal precautions though but from my readings, nasos are to be added last to any setup. hth

55g reef, 75lbs LR, 60lbs of base rock from hirocks.com, small hippo tang, paired clowns, 3 green chromis, 1 yellowtail damsel, 3 peppermint shrimp, 1 pistol shrimp, various assortment of snails and hermits, polyps, purple ribbon gorgonian, pulsing xenia, yellow button polyps
ChazYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello Chaz. How is the tank coming along? I read all the "articles" but I was hoping someone had personal experience. I only believe half of what I read and that is if I wrote it. I would love to add a sohal instead but I think that is pushing it.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:58 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to ChazYork
Tank is doing awesome! if i had a digital i'd take some pics personally i would go with the naso, i think they look cooler and in the long run wont be as aggressive. Have you ever posted a bio load of your tank Brian?
55g reef, 75lbs LR, 60lbs of base rock from hirocks.com, small hippo tang, paired clowns, 3 green chromis, 1 yellowtail damsel, 3 peppermint shrimp, 1 pistol shrimp, various assortment of snails and hermits, polyps, purple ribbon gorgonian, pulsing xenia, yellow button polyps
ChazYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would say it will be fine. The only issue I would see is with the purple being aggressive. But in a tank your size and lots of LR I see no problem. I have never had issues with my Naso.

I would do it.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the info rev. Chaz my bioload consist of the 4 tangs and a foxface, 5 clowns and one chromis. The rest of my fish are all really small gobies. Neon, neon eviota, high fin banded, court jester, hector, firefish.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:21 PM   #7
TJ
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to TJ
Brenden, I just recently added a Naso tang to my 240g. I've had 2 yellows and a purple tang, for several years, and at first they chased around and nipped (I also added a few other fish at the same time, hoping to avoid this), then by the next day, they were fine. So, IME it's been fine. I should mention, my already established tangs are quite big and healthy, so I made sure the Naso was a pretty good size, not very small. Good luck!
Began hobby in 1997; current tank- 240g RR, w/75g sump. Four 250w MH's, 8 65w. actinic pc's, approx. 180 lbs. live rock, various softies, anemones, 14 fish. To view pics, go to http://community.webshots.com/album/65580943vipMjw
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

The guy at the fish store I would be purchasing these from said I should only get one instead of two. He said they would be aggressive towards each other. Anyone have two of these in a tank?
Old 01-18-2006, 09:40 PM   #9
TJ
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to TJ
I don't know about nasos, but when I bought my other 3 tangs, they were in a holding tank together at the LFS and I bought them all together and put them in mine together... so they pretty much school together. Maybe if it was a case like that, where there was a couple together in a tank- observe them and see if they eat together okay and inhabit the same space okay...
Began hobby in 1997; current tank- 240g RR, w/75g sump. Four 250w MH's, 8 65w. actinic pc's, approx. 180 lbs. live rock, various softies, anemones, 14 fish. To view pics, go to http://community.webshots.com/album/65580943vipMjw
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmmm...its a gamble. With the realestate you have you may be okay. I would try for different sizes and maybe a grey and a blonde naso. Just a suggestion.

Tags
naso, pair, tan, tang, trouble

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com