Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-28-2004, 10:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Is and RO worth it?

I can get saltwater at .35 cents a gallon and plain RO at .23 cents at my lfs. Is an RO unit worth the money and what are the hidden costs (filter replacements etc...)

Overstocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 11:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Well I can say what made me want an RO system was paying $1 per gallon for SW and .50 for top off water!! In your case you have it good. If I could get it for that price I would buy it for sure!! Plus not to mention the cost of filter cartidges for the Ro system....

fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 01:22 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
i have a 55 gallon and I top off about 5 gallons of water once or twice a week and do a 5 gallon water change about once or twice a month.

so for fresh water your spending about .50 a week or about $2 a month. add another buck in there for sw for changes and you're lookin at an average of $3 a month for water. in a year you'll spend about $36. Thats really not too bad... until you consider the "uh ohs" that come up. Something has gone haywire and your nitrites are spiking. you need to do a water change ASAP, but it's friday night and the LFS isn't open this weekend cause this is the fourth of july weekend. You see where I'm going? And if your like me... the LFS isnt just down the street... it's a 20+ minute drive. Your buying piece of mind and convience. I like the fact that I can have a 30 gallon rubbermaid full of fresh RO water on hand at all times.

JMO, if the LFS is close and you have the means to get extra water from them to keep on hand in case of an emergency, then maybe you don't need one. Up to you
Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 01:45 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
I use Tap water.
Remember to Keep Christ First!
revhtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 09:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
The convience factor is worth it for me. I loose about 7-10 gal. per week due to evaporation and do a 10 gal. water change every other week. I like having water to go when I need it. No planing and no trips to the LFS. Plus, I always have water on hand for any emegencies. You can get RO units on beay for pretty cheap, a great investment IMO.
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 09:20 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
I agree with the convenience, and would also imagine that some laziness factor would creep in if I had to drive out to get water. Those water changes would get postponed all the time
My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met.
- Rodney Dangerfield.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 09:25 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
I agree with the above as far as convenience goes. Besides, I like having water on hand incase of an emergency. I wouldn't like having to run down to the LFS to buy water if something should happen.

I also like the fact that I know the condition of my filters in my unit. The LFS goes through a ton of water a day. I would bet that most LFS don't replace their filters in a timely manner so you don't really know the quality of water you are getting out of their filters without a TDS meter.
Biggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 09:34 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Not sure if this is good or not but I have been using water from the water machines at the grocery. I have 3 5 gal containers and seems like I am filling them up way too much. I got a TDS meter yesterday and did some testing. My tap water came out 182 and the RO water came out 31. This is better but I hope to get better than 31 with a RO/DI filter at home.

I will be getting one soon. Alot of people buy the RO units from Ebay but do you buy the filters on Ebay as well? I have been looking at an aquasafe unit and a case of filters and a case of DI will run $100 shipped. Should I get this up front or can you get them cheaper elsewhere?
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 01:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to brndfrb
Definitly worth it!!!
brndfrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 06:20 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Are you prepaired to transport all that water all the time? Remember you need top off water and if your tanks of any size thats at least 5-7 gal a week in just topoff water and then you have water change water.

Dont look at a RO unit as an expense but as an investment. You can not only use the water for your tanks but you aswell can benifit from clean water for drinking. There are costs of replacing the membrane and the filter cartrages and the frequency of doing that will depend on your quality of tap water. As you can expect dirty tap water will need more filter changing than cleaner tap water.

Your saltwater tank expepcially if you have a reef will benifit from the purer water being used.

Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com