Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-17-2004, 10:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is buying a RO/DI worth it?

I'm buying my RO/DI water from the LFS at 50cents a gallon. Is it worth it to buy a RO/DI filter? I mean with the time it takes to process the water, space to do it, buying replacment media for it. Should or shouldn't?

Old 10-17-2004, 11:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

A filter will save you $ in future and it's nice to be able to make water whenever you need to.

if you have have the $ to burn for I recommend it.
Just make sure it makes a several gallons an hour.

Lighting: 48'' Coralife HQI aqualight pro | 2 150 watt MH | 2 96 watt true actinic fluorescents | 3 1 watt blue-moon-glow LEDs

Fish&Inverts: 3-BlueGreen Chromis | Shrimp Goby | Purple Firefish | 6 Line-Wrasse | LawnMower Blenny | Royal Gramma | Coral Beauty | Maxima Clam | 16 Assort. -Snails | LR Hitchers: Crabs, Urchins, Brittle Stars, Feather Dusters, and more

Corals: Assorted Mushrooms | Green Button Polyps | Toadstool Leather | Pulsing Xenia | Clove Polyps | Star Polyps | FrogSpawn | Branching Hammer | Candy Cane | Zoos | Ricordea | Open Brain | Bubble |
--------------------------------------------------------
24Gallon JBJ Nano Cube | LR 25lbs Marshall Creek/Tonga/Fiji | 2 Flase Percula Clowns | Shrooms | Xenia | Green Button Polyps | Snails | Hermits
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 12:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
I got one off ebay for $120 or so including a pressure tank and a faucet.. it's filling my 54g right now... It took me a couple hours to install (taking my time.. I'm no plumber) but I say it was certainly worth it. Also, I now have great water for my morning coffee.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 10:12 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Dont get anything smaller than a 75GPD model. I have a 100GPD model and I can fill a 30gal trashcan in a 6-7 hours.

The space it takes up is next to nothing. when you compair the space your buckets take that you use to transport your water. I have two 30 gal trashcans. one for fresh RO water and one to mix saltwater in. My RO unit sits on a shelf next to these trashcans or you could mount it on the wall. YOu can also use the RO and waste water for other things so it not as wasteful as you would first think.

How much water do you buy a month? If you had the ability to make water on yourown would you do more water changes? I always look at the RO unit as an investment vs an expense.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 10:29 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes, I made the mistake of using tap water once and had a fish die. I figure you invest all this money on livestock and equipment why not spend a little bit more money on water
Old 10-18-2004, 12:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
My RODI is in a cabinet next to my downstairs sink (big set tub). I drilled some holes in the cabinet to run the water in/out of it as needed.

Mine is a 100gpd, but it's slow because my well water is 52 degrees and around 40-45psi.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 09:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have mine hooked to my washing machine water with the easy hose adaptor. I run warm water through it to help speed it up. They say optimal water temp is around 70 degrees to get the max water production. My pressure runs from 50-35. RO/DI well worth the money.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ro/di

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com