Is Creating Bubbles in the tank OK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nxb161

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What is everyones consensus on adding bubbles to a saltwater tank. Would it be harmful to the fish, live rock, or bacteria to have air fed around live rock? I did a quick search and agree with post that the bubbles bursting will make a salty mess on the hood and lighting which if not attended to can change the salinity of the tank.

bubblers do nothing that surface agitation doesnt... if your fish arent gasping at the surface and your ph is stable, no need to even worry about adding more surface agitation

Another reason for not having the bubbles is salt spray. You would have crusting salt all over the place.

I'm actually asking for a friend, and I think its more for the look than anything. I just wasn't sure if it could cause any ill-effect to the tank itself.

thanks for the quick replies, he checked and noticed a lot of buildup and took it out. thanks again.

He can accomplish much more aeration by pointing a PH slightly to the surface. Bublers just make a mess.

If he wants the look of bubbles, he might try making some sort of bubble wall with a piece of plexi.

Also note that excessive microbubbles can cause irritation to the skin of fish causing bacterial problems and other maladies.

Back
Top Bottom