Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is Culpera(sp?) a bad choice?

Looking to add more macro algae to my fuge in addition to the cheato, red algae, hair and what looks to be some kind of red bubble algae.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Red bubble algae is bad because it can get into the display tank however there is a red macro algae that looks a lot like red bubble algae and it red caulerpa it can go sexual and cloud up your tank. Some people have great luck with it others like myself had a problem with it..

Old 12-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Best to stay away from caulerpa unless you are running a 24/7 lighting schedule on your fuge. As stated, it has a tendency to go sexual. In addition to lighting, temperature swings can also cause it to go sexual.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i've used various types of caulerpa for years with no problems at all. the key is harvesting it before it gets totally overgrown in my experience. i happen to like it better than chaeto because i can toss it in the display and the tangs will eat it.
i run my lighting opposite the display.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:12 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I run grape calerpa in my fuge. I run my lights in the refuge 24/7. The key is to not let it get too packed in there.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

This is something im still trying to learn about,i think ive got two different kinds in the fuge, i yanked a gob out last water change seems to grow pretty good on reverse photo ive got it on. Dont know much about goin sexual?which one will the tang eat the long ones with little beads is that the cheato?
Old 12-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry, i didnt mean to jump in your thread
Old 12-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

No prob because I dont know what going sexual means either.

How about red kelp as a macro for nutrients?
Old 12-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

The term "going sexual" referres to the reproductive stage of the algae in which the macroalgae produces thousands of sexual reproductive spores into the environment and the macro form of the algae typically dies out. This occurs in response to seasonal changes in nature, and therefore changes in lighting and changes in temperature can cause this process to occur. Many who keep these types of macroalgae in fuges attempt to control is process (often successfully for long periods of time) by controlling their lighting scheme (i.e. 24/7 lights on the fuge), ensuring a constant steady temp in the system (minimal fluctations of no more than about 3 degrees), and regular harvesting of the algae. If you have the algae in either a DT or a fuge and it goes sexual, you will know. Your tank will go from looking like this;

To looking like this very quickly (usually overnight);

This particular event of grape caulerpa going sexual was caused by the failure of a chiller. HTH

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com