Is flow in tanks a game of chess?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will never be sold on the WP line of power heads. I haven't seen any review videos online that made the flow look any different in the different modes, just different strengths. I believe the Vortechs are justified in their pricing, if one intends to spend that kind of money. You get what you pay for, and when it comes to an electrical component that goes INSIDE my tank, you better believe I'm not skimping out...

Going to check out the MP10 this morning btw... Hopefully I'll have some nice updates later.

Whelp, the last MP10 locally just got sold. To me. Pics and updates later.

Ok im pretty stoked about this pump. For many reasons.
1 - its expensive and I like expensive stuff (dont kid yourself, so do you, otherwise you wouldnt be in this bobby)
2 - not loud, the expected amount of noise is produced
3- very small footprint. Check out comparison pic to 850.
4 - the modes seem very impressive. I didnt want a standing wave, and lagoon or reef crest
5 - gentle but very effective flow, and as it ramps up gets a lot of the settled stuff in the water column to be filtered

Inn sure ill have more as time goes, heck I might even have complaints lol, but am very happy for now.

ForumRunner_20131117_182511.jpg

I will never be sold on the WP line of power heads. I haven't seen any review videos online that made the flow look any different in the different modes, just different strengths. I believe the Vortechs are justified in their pricing, if one intends to spend that kind of money. You get what you pay for, and when it comes to an electrical component that goes INSIDE my tank, you better believe I'm not skimping out... Going to check out the MP10 this morning btw... Hopefully I'll have some nice updates later.

Hey, I won't argue. I totally agree the vortechs are likely much higher quality. I just don't have $800 to spend on two PH 's when I could upgrade my lights or LED for a little more and get a comparable alternative for 4x less the price.

I'm sure you'll be happy with the mp10. I would prefer to get the mp40 myself.

Thanks. I ordered a pair on Saturday morning. Now, I plan to place them on opposite ends and use the W1 function. Any tips on how to synch without a controller (like Apex)
Just make sure you got the new style controller and you can dial it in on your tank. I run W1 on the left wp40 for the wave which nearly goes over my sides if I run it at 100% then my right wp40 is on the else setting which is basically just a random combination of all of the settings. Then my two koralia 1500s are set on the hydor wave maker to alternate every 15 minutes. Makes for a constant wave but chaotic flow through out the bottom of my tank. I was afraid my anemones would move and sting corals but they just doubled their inflated size. Like I said one year without a single breakdown with them. What size tank do you have? Mine is a 210 and there is no way if I synced them up on w1 that I could keep the water in the tank. These things are seriously powerful and put out more flow than my mp40s did. I liked the vortechs but when I thought about the fact that I had almost a grand in powerheads I just felt silly. So I sold them and bought the wps and LEDs with money left over lol

Hey, I won't argue. I totally agree the vortechs are likely much higher quality. I just don't have $800 to spend on two PH 's when I could upgrade my lights or LED for a little more and get a comparable alternative for 4x less the price.

I'm sure you'll be happy with the mp10. I would prefer to get the mp40 myself.

I hear ya.. wasnt saying it with any bad intentions, just my opinion.

Just found this thread.

I bought am MP10 for my 34 gallon, and after I bought it, I wondered if it was really worth the money. However, seeing the tiny footprint in the tank, and the health of my corals, I am glad I took the plunge.

The only drawback I see is, I really want to upgrade my lights to the Vortech LEDs, just to sync them with the power head!!

Just found this thread.

I bought am MP10 for my 34 gallon, and after I bought it, I wondered if it was really worth the money. However, seeing the tiny footprint in the tank, and the health of my corals, I am glad I took the plunge.

The only drawback I see is, I really want to upgrade my lights to the Vortech LEDs, just to sync them with the power head!!

I read a lot of reviews and watched a lot of videos about this power head, and knew it was worth the money. I also would love the led's to sync... what setting do you run it on?

Corals seem very happy... and full. My trumpet is the biggest it's been. Now, do I consider a second mp10 and really tweak this tank lol??

I read a lot of reviews and watched a lot of videos about this power head, and knew it was worth the money. I also would love the led's to sync... what setting do you run it on?

I am still trying settings, but am currently on the reef crest mode @ 45%. I find this is powerful enough.

I am tempted to get a second one, but think it might be overkill for my little tank.

I am still trying settings, but am currently on the reef crest mode @ 45%. I find this is powerful enough.

I am tempted to get a second one, but think it might be overkill for my little tank.

Me too but around 70%...

Thanks. The good news is, you can sure tell if you have done something wrong quickly.

Thanks. The good news is, you can sure tell if you have done something wrong quickly.

Agreed! Quick changes in my tank from trying to find the right flow is what made me want the mp10... my hammer coral was pissed and losing polyps, plus my BTA eas being completely blown to one side. Now with the gentler and random flow things seem content...

Back
Top Bottom