Is Frozen Food too cold??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dufreneh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been feeding my Butterfly and Clown frozen brine shrimp squares. I have read in this forum to thaw the food first. Although I only feed them half a square at each feeding, I find that dropping it in the tank frozen slowly releases the shrimp into the flow of the water. After 2-3 minutes, the half square is totally thawed. The fish don't seem to mind, but could this eventually be bad for them?

biggest issue is the juice/brine that the shrimps packed in is gonna contribute to nitrates and/or phosphate levels in the tank. if you thaw first, you could siphon off the excess liquid and drop in the 'pure' shrimp.

Ideal would be to thaw out in some tank water, then discard the water and soak in some vitamins. That way you're removing phosphates and replacing any lost essentials.

I only feed froozen two or three times a week. Iwill soak it in tank water or garlic extreme before giving it.

Fishboy-from-NY said:
Atari, I told him that aready.
What's your point? And I didn't see any reference to discarding the water in your reply.

Thats correct. The advice given by Atari went one step further by suggesting to dispose of the thawed water.

Back
Top Bottom