Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2005, 04:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

is it better to let sw age

just wondering new at the sw thing.. Would it be better if i let my top off water age for little before i add it to my tank. now i just put into a bucket with a heater once it reaches ny tank temp i add it is that ok

Old 03-29-2005, 08:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
You aren't topping off with salt water are you? If you top off with saltwater you are adding to the salt content of your tank everytime. When water evaporates the salt is left behind in the tank. Use freshwater to top off...

If you are using RO water you don't need to age it... Tap water should be treated with a dechlorinator treatment and then left for about a day.

32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 08:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to markh30
I totally agree with mjvincent. The water evaporates, not the salt. I fill a bucket with RO water and keep it in the cabinet under my tank. I've seen some designs for auto-topoffs that I wouldn't mind trying.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:11 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I use an autotopoff, but when I didn't I would let my RO sit overnight just to warm up to at least room temp (it's pretty cold out of the tap).

I let my SW age overnight more to stabalize the temp and make sure that my readings are acurate.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:31 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

help please! I am new and I am not figuring out how to work this site. I've been to chat but everytime I'm there I find no one there. Is there a specific time everyone chats? Or amI doing something wrong? Also, everyone is shown offline, is this common?
Old 03-29-2005, 09:44 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ace 123- You post a question and people will reply as they check the boards. Most answers can be found by using the search feature or the articles section at the top of each page. The chat is for anytime but is not always active. It is normally a hit or miss type thing. Sundays at 9pm is a great time to chat.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 09:57 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I keep my sw moving with ph's for at least 24-48 hours and at 80 degrees, my ro water I just warm up.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:41 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
help please! I am new and I am not figuring out how to work this site. I've been to chat but everytime I'm there I find no one there. Is there a specific time everyone chats? Or amI doing something wrong? Also, everyone is shown offline, is this common?
this site is more of a message board then a chat room. However, there is a chat portion that you may find a few people on every now and again. Sunday nights seem to be the big time to chat for everyone here. If you have questions you can start a new post in the appropriate category and as people log nto this site they can view it and respond if needed. Most of the time it is not in "live time".
By the way...Welcome to AquariumAdvice.come!!!

Quote:
just wondering new at the sw thing.. Would it be better if i let my top off water age for little before i add it to my tank. now i just put into a bucket with a heater once it reaches ny tank temp i add it is that ok
Aging it is a good idea. As mentioned, make sure you are using FW for all top-offs. Just make sure the temp of the water is the same as the tank water.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks guys
Old 03-29-2005, 02:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

ive found that aging your salt water in a new tank can cause the calcium to precipitate after about 24-36 hours. i do not know why. but when using an older tank that was used as an aquarium at one time no precipitation occurs at all duing any given time. my current mix for a water change has been aging for about 3 mths lol.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com