is it cyano again?.. or something else

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul87

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've had cyano ref slime a couple times before and have been rid of it for a while. But now I'm noticing something similar growing on the return spout of my HOB refugium. Its not ad red but more of a maroon to a brown color. Is has plenty of flow but is in direct light from my t5 ho's. Any ideas of what this stuff is?? I looked in my fuge and didn't find any cyano red slime.

ForumRunner_20120820_210654.jpg

ForumRunner_20120820_210739.jpg

ForumRunner_20120820_210820.jpg

paul87 said:
I've had cyano ref slime a couple times before and have been rid of it for a while. But now I'm noticing something similar growing on the return spout of my HOB refugium. Its not ad red but more of a maroon to a brown color. Is has plenty of flow but is in direct light from my t5 ho's. Any ideas of what this stuff is?? I looked in my fuge and didn't find any cyano red slime.

Its probably cyano, however i would not worry too much about as this is a common place for algae to grow with the high light and oxygen. Better there than in your tank.

Cyano is always present in everyones tanks. It only becomes noticeable given the right conditions such as excess nutrients. if you want scrap it off, but this area where algae is growing will likely always have algae since it acting like an algae scrubber does. So in essence it will help to some small degree keep cyano or algae out of other places of your tank. This may be a small effect but present none the less.

Back
Top Bottom