Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-08-2013, 11:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Is it diatoms or cyano and what's the best and easiest way to clean it up?

I left for 3 days for the 4th. Come home last night and I couldn't even see inside my tank the glass was literally 100% and after cleaning it I see this every where!!! Is it diatoms or cyano and what's the best and easiest way to clean it up? I have no phos reactor and all params are 0...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-573146327.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	185076

Old 07-09-2013, 12:20 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Looks like hair algae to me. Did you leave the lights on the entire time?

I would start by reducing the photoperiod down to 6 hours daily and manually removing all of the algae, siphoning as you remove it.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Lights are timed 8 hours for whites . 10 hours for blues. It's not green tho. It's brown.. I have hair algae growing in many spots. But it's a greenish.. I'm going to try and siphon it tonight.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Could it be Lyngbya then?
Old 07-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

personal opinion, running blues, or blue led's do nothing for our tanks, they also do not count as lighting, many people say I have 3 white and 3 blues,.........then you have 3 whites and 3 decoration lights, when the sun goes down on the worlds oceans, the moon light does not help corals or fish, feel better just one of my pet peavies when you ask people what kind of lighting they have, if blue/moon/pretty led's mattered then corals would polyp under"moon" lights or at night but they don't until the sun comes up and penetrates the oceans depths. If you have 6 forty watt bulbs, 3 whites and 3 blues, then you have 3 good lights and 3 decorator lights. I feel better now
Old 07-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I don't know, my blue LEDs give off an aweful lot of light. When my whites turn off my blues stay on and my coral don't change a bit. They all stay fully extended until my blues turn off. If I turn off my blue and just run my whites you can really see how much dimmer my tank gets. Just sayin, they give off light....
Old 07-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holygral View Post
personal opinion, running blues, or blue led's do nothing for our tanks, they also do not count as lighting, many people say I have 3 white and 3 blues,.........then you have 3 whites and 3 decoration lights, when the sun goes down on the worlds oceans, the moon light does not help corals or fish, feel better just one of my pet peavies when you ask people what kind of lighting they have, if blue/moon/pretty led's mattered then corals would polyp under"moon" lights or at night but they don't until the sun comes up and penetrates the oceans depths. If you have 6 forty watt bulbs, 3 whites and 3 blues, then you have 3 good lights and 3 decorator lights. I feel better now
Sorry but this is all wrong. Blue light spectrums are used more by corals than any other as it penetrates water depths the most. White lights are a mix of color spectrums. Those used for reefs often emit more blue than anything else. You just can't see it as it is blended with other light spectrums. Moon lights in SOME cases are merely decorative because there are too few of them or don't emit enough light to be beneficial.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holygral View Post
The statement that blue does nothing would be totally in conflict with what Mr_X believes because he is running one of his tank with total blue.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

How old is the tank? I would start treating the tank as though you have high NO3 and PO4 even though your test kits are probably going to read zero because the algae is consuming them
Old 07-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tank is 8 months old. One month old on the new Taos.. I bought a joke tang and some algae fix.. Hoping that might work. I'm growing many different types of algae now.. I even have macro... Looks like to me.... Growing on my glass in my fuge...

Tags
diatoms, cyano, clean

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com