Is it going to kill it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New2Salt

Aquarium Advice Freak
We just got this Pipe Organ Coral, the scooter blennies really seem to be all over it, they love it, but will them being all over it hurt it or kill it? I really love this coral.

thanks!

Well, if you just got the coral, they may not want to be all over it in a day or so, but if they continue to stay on the coral, it will eventually kill it. The coral will open less and less and will not be able to photosynthesize.

Give them a couple of days to see what happens, they are most likely checking out the tubes for food. They may find that there is better hunting elsewhere. If not...one will have to go, either the blennies or the coral. One option you may try first would be to move the coral to a higher place in the tank. Scooters tend to stay towards the bottom of the tank, placing it higher may discourage them from irritating it so much.

Ok, that's what we were thinking, it seems they keep picking at the tubes, we kept the lights off for a few hours after putting it in, the shrimp were all over it, but then left it alone, now my hand is another story, boy those things are curious about everything. Anyways, we are going to move it up, my husband feels it will be closer to the light and get more photosynthesized and hopefully left alone.

Thanks again Kevin!

Back
Top Bottom