Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-25-2011, 06:25 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
What really prompted me to think about this subject was an article I read on reefkeeping.com regarding trace elements and what I got out of it was we're not really sure how important trace elements contribute to the overall health of the reef. It was apparent that these elements are there, their percentages are known, but dosing wasn't exactly the same. It came close but there is much still to be understood how the reef health is affected by theses elements and what else in the ocean water that's present that we still don't know about which makes or salt mixes lacking in delivering what's needed for reef corals to flourish .

I know I'm young in this hobby but I see it no different than modern meds. For example there is plenty of evidence that vitamins in fruits and vegetables is important to our health but isolating the vitamins and taking them in tablet forms or in juices doesn't have the same effects as having it in it's natural form. There is proof that if one is lacking certain vitamins in great amounts then taking it in any form had immediate benefits but thats only up to a limit.

Overall modern medicine is simply based on action/reaction. When I take this, that happens, or on a cellular level, when this is introduced the cells react this way or that way.

For example it's well known that vitamin C is good for you, but drinking it in OJ has some disadvantages. For one, insulin levels react differently when the orange fiber and pulp are consumed along with the inner juice of the orange. Not to mention the benefits of the vapor that mists while you're peeling it. You short cut all this and just take it in as juice and your body is forced to produce insulin at a very high rate to combat the sudden sugar rush that comes along and there is also the time factor. As your body slowly digests the complete orange(pulp, fiber...etc) the vitamins and sugar delivery is at a very deliberate rate. So the pulp, fiber, vapor mist all contribute to along with the vitamins to a delivery to ones system that is at a natural rate.

I realize there are risks in using anything straight from the ocean but it was a question more towards finding out if this practice exists in this hobby and what precautions are taken in order to weigh the benefits to the risks.

Something like that...

Wael El-Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:54 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
What if you took rock and sand? And just let them chill in a quarantine tank for a bit?

fish are friends not food

Codyheitmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:03 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular
I am fourtunate that I live on the Gulf Coast of Florida and we have a local aquarium and aquaculture facility that sells "Living Sea Water". They have a pipe that runs out into the Gulf of Mexico that supplies the aquarium with water, and they also sell the water to hobbyists for 50 cents per gallon. They run the water through a multi-stage filtration system. When we had the oil spill in the gulf, BP had to supply them with, and pay for an advanced filtration system that removes any chemicals/contaminants related to the oil spill. My tank is doing very well using this sea water, but you have to be careful taking water from the shoreline. The shore seems to be the "Protien Skimmer" of the ocean, hence the sea-foam.

ShawnMMcKenna is offline   Reply With Quote

ocean water, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com