Is it illegal to take saltwater fish such as clowns and tangs for example from the oc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tarpon said:
If its a cheap fish I wouldn't do it. Just support a good local fish store instead. Those wardens/cops can crackdown on you and fines fines fines.
And in my ethical opinion its better to buy a fish that's already been in a fish store tank and up for sale than to steal one out of its natural habitat. You might say "hey someone else will probably come along and take it anyway" but that's just my opinion.

This is prpb the best point outside the legalty issue. Fish need time to get accustomed to tank life and all thats included, theres just too many risks imo. Unless it was a crosshatch trigger or some other outrageously expensive fish, I wouldnt do it

In Texas you simply need a fishing license. However game fish taken are still under restrictions regardless of what you're doing with them.

In NY it's illegal. You can take for consumption under a fishing license, but if they catch you with it alive in your car(with an air pump/etc) it's illegal(without permit) and hefty fine. Bait fish are a different story(minnows/etc).

My father lives on a private lake on private propety(no public access). We privately stock/maintain it, yet the state says we need a license to fish it :blink: They must be hard up for cash this year, because for the first time ever, an agent showed up at our 4th of July picnic....With ticket book in hand.

Nope sorry id fight that till im blue in the face... Its a privately stocked and owned ...they have no right to issue tickets for illegal fishing

Nope sorry id fight that till im blue in the face... Its a privately stocked and owned ...they have no right to issue tickets for illegal fishing

Try getting the NY State to do anything that makes sense lol

This is the same state that had a "trail fee" on their ATV registration for years, yet ATV's are illegal on state land/public roads in NY and there is no trail system lol...Figure that one out.

Back
Top Bottom