Is it illegal to take saltwater fish such as clowns and tangs for example from the oc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heavy_321

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it illegal to take saltwater fish such as clowns and tangs for example from the ocean and put them in a personal tank?

I think it is. You might wanna check the laws in the state or providence you are thinking of taking from.

me personally I woudln't do it. The prices of those fish arent so extreme to warrant stealing from the reefs.

Just my opinion though. Others may say its fine.....

heavy_321 said:
Is it illegal to take saltwater fish such as clowns and tangs for example from the ocean and put them in a personal tank?

More than likely it is, not to mention the types of fines and punishments if you get caught, def recommend much deeper research

Hmm,i don't know if it is ..
Not sure i would understand why,if it was though..
If your out fishing legally on a boat and reel in queen trigger(which there is a you tube vid of)or a nice french angel,why couldn't you keep it.If i was out and caught an angel or trigger,i'm keeping it ..Someone else would just catch them just to eat them anyway

FTMMWS said:
Hmm,i don't know if it is ..
Not sure i would understand why,if it was though..
If your out fishing legally on a boat and reel in queen trigger(which there is a you tube vid of)or a nice french angel,why couldn't you keep it.If i was out and caught an angel or trigger,i'm keeping it ..Someone else would just catch them just to eat them anyway

It falls mainly on the fact that if someone doesnt control the harvesting of wildlife, then naturally we will quickly wipe them out. No different than fishing, there are certain species and detdrmining factors (size,gender etc) that guide if a fish Is legal. Professional harvesters have to pay for a specific license and in most cases are limited in what they catch, the only risky part is actually catching a fish and getting it home without being caught

But is it illegal only off the coast of California? I would imagine that you can collect somewhere in the world in natural waters, but I wouldn't do it even if it was legal. I'd prefer to be there as an observer only so that others can enjoy after me. Same reason I catch and release when I fish.

it varies from state to state and country to country, when i went snorkeling in Cancun, there were some absolutely gorgeous fish, but there was a VERY strict no capture policy, and if you got caught taking fish...well lets just say it wouldnt be anywhere near fun. But in the same sense, I've heard of some members on here going overseas and paying to catch wild marine fish, so its really dependent on where youre wanting to catch them at

Laws vary, in Florida it is relatively easy to get a permit to collect fish although I don't do it. Corals and rock are a different story.

I don't think I'd be collecting any corals in FL these days. Not since hearing a few weeks ago about how human feces in the water is killing off the coral ecosystem.

My friend has gone diving and has caught queen angelfish, French angelfish, and a lot of different fish. I've gone to the beach and gotten some fish from the shoreline, and also the ocean in my backyard. We both live in Florida. Idk if what he did was legal, but what I did was legal.

There are lucency u can get that are really cheap like 15$

If its a cheap fish I wouldn't do it. Just support a good local fish store instead. Those wardens/cops can crackdown on you and fines fines fines.
And in my ethical opinion its better to buy a fish that's already been in a fish store tank and up for sale than to steal one out of its natural habitat. You might say "hey someone else will probably come along and take it anyway" but that's just my opinion.

tarpon said:
If its a cheap fish I wouldn't do it. Just support a good local fish store instead. Those wardens/cops can crackdown on you and fines fines fines.
And in my ethical opinion its better to buy a fish that's already been in a fish store tank and up for sale than to steal one out of its natural habitat. You might say "hey someone else will probably come along and take it anyway" but that's just my opinion.

Yeah but the people who supply the lfs take them out of the ocean anyways, at least this way it'd make it less stressful because of less transportation.

slitherbomb said:
Yeah but the people who supply the lfs take them out of the ocean anyways, at least this way it'd make it less stressful because of less transportation.

That's why i included that part at the end of my comment. Its just my opinion. If it's living in the wild leave it be. Its not my job to harvest them so I wouldn't. I agree with it being less transportation. Straight from the ocean to your home

tarpon said:
That's why i included that part at the end of my comment. Its just my opinion. If it's living in the wild leave it be. Its not my job to harvest them so I wouldn't. I agree with it being less transportation. Straight from the ocean to your home

Yeah I know what you mean. I would not do it, but my friend promised me an Atlantic blue tang so that's it for me LOL

Back
Top Bottom