Originally Posted by JustinKBreen
Boiling can be dangerous. There are a couple extremely toxic zoanthids that may be hiding in the rock. Boiling them can cause the steam to contain the poison. I'll try to find the article were cdc determined a death or two to be caused by this.
Palytoxin is present in all zoanthids and palythoas. A very potent toxin that can easily kill and has if it enters the body. The most common method of exposure is doing fragging. Boiling zoanthids could cause the toxin to become inhaled through steam.
I would never advise boiling any rocks. Fragging palys/zoas is dangerous as well. Wear safety glasses and gloves. Also cover any cuts or wounds.
29g Mixed Reef, 150w 14k Phoenix MH w/ Moonlights, Reef Octopus BH1000 HOB Skimmer, Ecotech Vortech MP10es, ReefKeeper Lite (Plus), PH Probe, Temp Probe, ATO, Carbon/GFO Reactor.