Is it ok to have aptasias in a refugium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They can travel into the main display via the pump?

Aiptasia is a sporing species. Meaning it will disperse eggs into the water column. Also, if one gets chopped up in the pump. The little pieces all become new aiptasia.

Ok, thanks. I'm gonna post a pic tommorrow just to make sure it is one. And what can I use other than aptasia x to kill them

Antec said:
They can travel into the main display via the pump?

Yes. They drop a piece and it floats until it finds a home and another one grows. Easily traveling through pumps. If they are in the tank or sump they will spread throughout.

Antec said:
Ok, thanks. I'm gonna post a pic tommorrow just to make sure it is one. And what can I use other than aptasia x to kill them

Boiling water, lemon juice (both injected). If you can take the rock out. Blow torch. DO NOT PULL it off. It will grow back from the remnants.

Readingexcalibur said:
Boiling water, lemon juice (both injected). If you can take the rock out. Blow torch. DO NOT PULL it off. It will grow back from the remnants.

Also kalk, heavy salt solution, aiptasia-x, vinegar, and peppermint shrimp being the easiest to control aiptasia populations. Few other species that eat as well.

Be careful with the blow torch advice. Some rocks will explode if they are torched while wet. You could boil it instead. Instant death. >.<

That boiling would also kill other beneficial bacteria and critters in the rock though right?

Boiling can be dangerous. There are a couple extremely toxic zoanthids that may be hiding in the rock. Boiling them can cause the steam to contain the poison. I'll try to find the article were cdc determined a death or two to be caused by this.

JustinKBreen said:
Boiling can be dangerous. There are a couple extremely toxic zoanthids that may be hiding in the rock. Boiling them can cause the steam to contain the poison. I'll try to find the article were cdc determined a death or two to be caused by this.

Palytoxin is present in all zoanthids and palythoas. A very potent toxin that can easily kill and has if it enters the body. The most common method of exposure is doing fragging. Boiling zoanthids could cause the toxin to become inhaled through steam.

I would never advise boiling any rocks. Fragging palys/zoas is dangerous as well. Wear safety glasses and gloves. Also cover any cuts or wounds.

Schism said:
Palytoxin is present in all zoanthids and palythoas. A very potent toxin that can easily kill and has if it enters the body. The most common method of exposure is doing fragging. Boiling zoanthids could cause the toxin to become inhaled through steam.

I would never advise boiling any rocks. Fragging palys/zoas is dangerous as well. Wear safety glasses and gloves. Also cover any cuts or wounds.

Thank you.. Palytoxin was the word I was trying to think of.

Scrubbing it will likely leave behind small pieces of aipastia which will grow new ones. Haven't had to wage this war yet but it sounds like aipastia x and or lemon juice would be your best bet.

So I just blast the middle of it with lemon juice?

Back
Top Bottom