Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is it OK to re-aquascape my tank?

is it bad to do and what effect does it have? i dont like mine and want to change it. some of your guy's designs have influenced me

Old 03-29-2010, 07:24 PM   #2
is back to save the day!

Pretty sure nothing will happen. It's just if you have an old sandbed and you stir it up, you may see a cycle again. But last i recalled, your tank was still not cycled.. so there isn't much that will happen. You just have to watch out for the coral that you've placed on the rocks already so you don't crush them or leave them out of the light.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

also be careful of any inverts that you have. I did a big change yesterday (not that I wanted to, but had to take just about every rock out of the tank to catch a fish) and I found a mushroom that I had lost in the process I had hermits clinging to rocks, and a serpent starfish that was not happy I was messing with its area! Expect some clouding up, mine cleared up in less than 24hours.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

so zer0 what your saying is, my tank will never be cycled right? even though when my ammonia peaked at 2ppm and has been zero day after day and nitrates have been zero day after day and nitrites are zero day after day?
Old 03-29-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I`m not Zero but I think he`s saying you`ll possibly stir up some sand releasing some ammonia and having a small mini cycle which could very well happen.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
is back to save the day!

As melosu said, that's what i was saying. Also, wasn't it not too long ago that you posted in one of your other threads that your ammonia spiked back up to +1ppm? A properly cycled tank will never do that unless you add an insane amount of fish. All i'm saying is that right now, your tank is only cycled to the current livestock. So the next time you add another fish, if you do, your bound to see another ammonia spike just like you saw a few days ago.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

i said my local fish stores water was at 1.5ppm not mine
Old 03-30-2010, 07:06 PM   #8
is back to save the day!

Aha.. i see now. Well i'm glad it was their water and not yours. And to clarify things.. your tank WILL eventually be cycled, but it will take longer than if you didn't have any fish, because you wouldn't have to keep doing PWC's to keep the ammonia down to keep the fish alive. That's all i was saying..
Old 03-30-2010, 07:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

ive been down to one water change every 6 days for a while now. still reads 0 ppm accross the board, but now i see what you mean. i really dont have any intention of adding anymore fish at the moment. ive been become more addicted to REEFing more so. If i did, i could see how my tank is only cycled to one fish.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

you know what, i may go buy a 30g tank this weekend and do it right, protien skimmer and all, make my current 20g a QT. but i do love the nano look

Tags
aquascape, cap, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com