Is it possible...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You will need a large tank with a tight fit lid. These guys are escape artists. Your inhabitants will be limited with one of these guys in there as well.

Mike

liveaquaria.com mentions 50 gal., but I disagree with that. It would be miserable in there given that it will reach 1'2"..it seems that not allow much room for him.

Good luck.

Mike

I would seriously suggest in doing research on equipment that is suitable for your tank with this one. Octopus are extremely strong and have been known to bring havoc on their surroundings. People have gone so far as to using silicone to glue down pipes and aquascaping before adding water and one of these guys. Plus a tight hood or latches on the hood would be preferable.

these are extremely smart animals. They can squeeze through a hole the size of a dime. They do not live long in captivity and require a lot of research prior to purchasing.

I don't have a tank setup yet. I was just wondring if it was possible to keep them and if you could to it with out causing them alot of harm. I think if i ever do get one it will be later in my life til i gaim more saltwater knowledge.

My boss kept an octopus in a 30g high with the water level about 8 inches from the top. There was about 35lbs of LR and a 4inch sand bed. He kept it for about a year and half up until last week he was belly up. =( But they are VERY VERY strong creatures. We'd feed it with a piece of rigid tubing, and he would pick up the 10lb chunk of rock while holding on to the feeding tube.

Fun, but need very special care.

Good luck,
Matt

aoplayo said:
I don't have a tank setup yet. I was just wondring if it was possible to keep them and if you could to it with out causing them alot of harm. I think if i ever do get one it will be later in my life til i gaim more saltwater knowledge.

A wise approach.

Back
Top Bottom