Is it possible for a True and False Perc to mate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Civicman86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a true and false and they seemed to be paired. Constantly together! They are new to the tank so I dont expect mating to happen anytime soon, but if it is possible, I can see it happening and I would like to be succesful at raising them.

What is green water?'

TIA

... and then you would be raising "Maybe Clowns"?
Actually both of your clowns appear to be False (A. ocellaris) . Check my gallery for a photo of A. percula.

I hate to burst your bubble but none of those are true percs. Both are oscelaris or false percs. That's probably why no one was responding. But being that I too am a learning individual here at the forum, here's my response.

I have to agree. Both look like false percs to me. A closer pic of each would help.
As far as the "green water"...what do you mean? I have heard DT's photoplankton refered to as green water. Is this what you mean?
www.dtplankton.com

Hmm one is darker and around the eyes it seems more shaded unlikle the bigger one that is all orange with the black eye. Ill try to get a close pic if I can tomorrow. I was under the impression that if there was a dark area around the eyes, it was a good indication that it was a true perc.

Either way it really doesnt matter to me if they are true or not. I just want to know if they will/chance of breeding :)

You can tell a false from a true by the shading of the black line next to the white stripe. A False has a distinct thin black line. A True has a black line that fades into the orange. A better picture would help.

Brian

Ok here are some pics. Sorry they move to quick for a really nice shot. The small one seems to fade the black into the orange.

Attachments

• clown3_237.jpg
    clown3_237.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 38
  • clown2_143.jpg
    clown2_143.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 33
  • clown1_127.jpg
    clown1_127.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 32
If you looked in my gallery that I linked above you would have seen a True Perc.

Here's a photo of my True perculas: Notice the distinct black markings as opposed to the thin black lines of the False clown.

Attachments

• 7h-anen-clowns-pff_144.jpg
    7h-anen-clowns-pff_144.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 30
Dustin, I agree with the rest of them. They do both look like false perc/occelaris clowns to me.

out of curiousity... do you think a true and a false could ever mate if they were together?

Ok cool, I did look at the galleries and pics of the true percs, but I was not sure even at a young age (mine is only maybe .5'' long) that they would show such distinct coloration. My small one is alot darker in the body than the bigger one which I bleived to be a false perc.

Back
Top Bottom