Is it possible to have 0ppm ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is the question? Ammonia, nitrites or nitrates? NH3 should start the cycle. NO2 forms from the NH3 and the end product is NO3. It is possible to have NO2 and NO3 present in a cycle. Sounds like you have one heck of a cycle going there with the readings you gave.

Brenden said:
What is the question? Ammonia, nitrites or nitrates? NH3 should start the cycle. NO2 forms from the NH3 and the end product is NO3. It is possible to have NO2 and NO3 present in a cycle. Sounds like you have one heck of a cycle going there with the readings you gave.

The day before yesterday my ammomia was stll high. All of a sudden it's gone and the nitrites are way up; 6ppm+. Today, for the heck of it I check for nitrates for the first time and I get a reading over 100ppm...

The question was could you have nitrites and nitrates at the same time and you answered the Q. Thanks...

Whatever--at least I know I am almost there and it's time for a protein skimmer.

There are lots of articles out here regarding cycling just in case you feel lost. Once you understand the nitrogen cycle, you are half way the hobby.

Just remember, there's Ammonia. Then there are "nitrifying bacteria" that turns ammonia into nitrites. Then there are denitrifying bacteria that turns nitrites to a less harmful but equally unwanted Nitrates. That's just in a nut shell.

Good luck

Yep, it is possible to have 0 ppm ammonia, and that is exactly how you want it. If the ammonia is 0, congrats, you are 1/2 done with your cycle.

As far as nitrates in the tank, yes, those will start showing up the very second you get nitrite eating bacteria working.

I am cycling right now, and I am reading:

4 ppm ammonia
5-8 ppm nitrite
20 ppm nitrate

So all my bacteria are off and racing, now just gotta be patient.

How are you cycling, dosing ammonia and how much/often or raw shrimp, how many? I did not ask about fish because they would be dead with those numbers.

How long have you been cycling.

What type of test kit are you using?

How often are you testing?

What size tank?

Macrosill said:
How are you cycling, dosing ammonia and how much/often or raw shrimp, how many? I did not ask about fish because they would be dead with those numbers.

What size tank?

Started cycling with 1 raw shrimp for the first 5 days.

Then I took the shrimp out when I got my live rock.

Been cycling for 20 days total now between the raw shrimp and the live rock.

I am using Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test kits.

I am testing 2 times a day.

It's a 20g.

No fish.

Green hair algae starting to fester.

Brown on tank glass inside.

i heard that your nitrates will show weird readings during your cycle. Don't know if its true But something to look into.

Macrosill said:

Yes, fish certainly would be dead! :) All I did was put my live rock in the aquarium...the dieoff from the rock is all I am cycling with.

I am currently on day 5.

I am finishing off some Jungle dip strips. I know they are not as accurate as the liquid kits, but I have some left and during the cycle, I don't need to know to the nanodigits what the numbers are, so I figure a good chance to use them up. I am going to be purchasing a liquid saltwater kit in the next couple weeks, I haven't decided what brand.

That was actually my first test at 4 days. I'll probably monitor every few days, do a water change if the levels get out of control.

What size tank?

46-gallon bow front.

Paul

GoodCrab,
Looks like you are moving along nicely. When the nitrites zero out then do a big pwc and add fish.

PK,
Day 5 and those are your numbers. Cured lr works nice. Good call on using up the test strips now and going with a liquid kit later on. I use the AP Master Test Kits for both my fresh and sw tanks.

Good Luck all,
Brian

Macrosill said:
GoodCrab,
Looks like you are moving along nicely. When the nitrites zero out then do a big pwc and add fish.

PK,
Day 5 and those are your numbers. Cured lr works nice. Good call on using up the test strips now and going with a liquid kit later on. I use the AP Master Test Kits for both my fresh and sw tanks.

Good Luck all,
Brian

Will do.

Thanks, Brian...

Just ordered an Aqua C Remora and the prefilter/skimmer box...

Back
Top Bottom