Is it time for a protein skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smokiums

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, again.

My tank has been running flawless since I started it up a little of three weeks ago. My water is perfect. I've added 40 blue legs and 30 turbo snails about a week ago and everyone seems to still be there. I haven't added any fish yet, going to wait a couple more weeks.

My main question is: is it time to buy a protein skimmer? I have 80lbs of liverock and I'm dosing Kalk. What I've noticed is that sometimes the water in my fuge gets a little "slimmy" looking. I don't know why. Possibly, the water current. Maybe as the water level gets higher, the water movement slows down and the "slimmyness" begins. I don't know. Or, do I need a protein skimmer?

If so, what do you think of the Berlin?

A Berlin should do a good job on your tank. I'm running one on a 180g and, although a little undersized IMO, it's doing a good job. I would probably go with the Berlin Classic and a Mag 7 pump. I have heard there were some longevity issues with the pumps on the Turbos. You might also look at an Aqua C Urchin Pro with a Mag 3 pump. I understand the Euroreef skimmers are pretty good although I can't speak from experience as I have never used one.

Back
Top Bottom