Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-30-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is it too late...

... to dig into my sand so my rocks sitting on the glass and not the top of the sand? Tanks only been up for 8 months. Just dont want to stir into something nasty and have a melt down.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

If you do push them into the sand I would have some SW made up and do at least a 25% PWC after you do it. Then test a few days later to see where you stand. BTW I`ve never had my LR come down in the 12+ yrs I have had a tank. I personally dont think that is an issue but if you feel safer then go ahead but like I said have some PWC water ready.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

hmmm, alright. Ill take your advice. Ill hold off on it and just keep an eye on the bullet goby(when i get him that is) and if i notice anything ill take action.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
It depends on how deep your sand bed is. If it is deeper then 1-2 inches i would try and push the rocks down closer to the glass. The bullet goby probably won't make it unstable enough to topple your rocks but i did have a diamond goby that dug out such a big den that the roof sunk in and i believe it smushed him and the scissor tail goby that share the place with him.

Like mike said. If you do it just make sure you do a water change after and maybe run a filter sock/sponge for a couple days if you have one. You can also just do it a little bit at a time. Start one one end and move around a few rocks each water change until you feel that everything is stable. The chances of anything happening are very small. Like mikes tank you could probably go 12 years and not ever have anything happening but it is easy to fix and i would go the better safe then sorry route.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8you View Post
It depends on how deep your sand bed is. If it is deeper then 1-2 inches i would try and push the rocks down closer to the glass. The bullet goby probably won't make it unstable enough to topple your rocks but i did have a diamond goby that dug out such a big den that the roof sunk in and i believe it smushed him and the scissor tail goby that share the place with him.

Like mike said. If you do it just make sure you do a water change after and maybe run a filter sock/sponge for a couple days if you have one. You can also just do it a little bit at a time. Start one one end and move around a few rocks each water change until you feel that everything is stable. The chances of anything happening are very small. Like mikes tank you could probably go 12 years and not ever have anything happening but it is easy to fix and i would go the better safe then sorry route.
This is pretty much exactly what I was going to respond.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have 2 to 3 inches of sand and the rocks are about half way down in to the sand. I have a Jawfish that has dug out huge cavern under almost every rock and nothing has shifted at all. However, I do have a pretty solid aquascape and the bottom rocks are fairly wide at the bottom.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com