Is it true what they say about zoanthids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can you tell me why? He has helped clean the inside of his old FW guppy tank and actually takes a little pride in taking care of his own stuff... Of course I'm right they with him and while he goes and scrubs his hands, I redo the work! :)

Go for it. I don't see a thing wrong with it if he enjoys it and understands what is going on.

Why I wouldn't. Well after investing thousands of dollars into my aquarium I just wouldn't want to run that risk. TMO. I don't let anyone do anything with my tanks, not even my girlfriend.

Why I wouldn't. Well after investing thousands of dollars into my aquarium I just wouldn't want to run that risk. TMO. I don't let anyone do anything with my tanks, not even my girlfriend.

I see. That makes sense. He sure doesn't mess with our planted tank much for that same reason.

Too many other cool corals to choose from that can't accidentally hurt you. I wouldn't risk it. Zoas are no joke and its hard telling by observation which ones will affect you the most. In the wild they are really potent and no one handles them without protection.

Well, it didn't take long to realize that zoas are the easiest way to add dramatic color to the tank. I broke down and took advantage of a big coupon to get me a frag of eagle eye. I figure as long as its in the water there shouldn't be a problem and I'm the only one that will be messing with it.

You'll be okay, just use gloves or wash your hands after handling them. It's pretty hard for me to tell the "hot" ones from the tame ones. I just know you don't mess with many of the wild varieties without caution.

Last edited:
So, just an update. We put 2 zoa frags and 1 paly frag in the tank. After a few weeks, our son started waking up at night coughing. This got worse and worse for weeks until it became an every night thing requiring a relief inhaler.

I read an article in Coral Magazine about these things and just how toxic even a few grams of it can be. Got to thinking about all the bubbles popping in the skimmer and sump and thought it would be worth seeing about to remove them for a while. Fortunately, I was able to re-home them in a friends tank.

Immediately, my son began sleeping through the night and hasn't had an issue since. That was nearly a month ago.

Suffice it to say, we won't try them again.

Wow. I am glad your son is ok. I guess that makes your decision of pitting zoas in the tank pretty easy. Maybe stick with simple corals that dont give off such toxins, or even keep it a nice FOWLER tank. I really like your rockscape, it looks amazing in that tank!
As far as letting your son help you with tank maintenance, I think that is a personal choice. You know your son best, and while 6 may be a little young for some kids to take on such tasks, it might be prefectly ok for him. My 7 and 3 yr old girls are very involved in our tanks. I keep canopy lids on all the tanks and the electrical equipment as out of reach as possible. My 7 yr old helps with water changes and using the magnet to clean the glass, cleans tank equipment with me and keeps a close eye on the fish. She is usually the first one to spot if something is off with a fish. My 3 yr old helps me feed....from a premeasured cup....which she pours in the tank. That is about all her patience can handle before she is off to another project and forgotten about the fish. Lol

So, just an update. We put 2 zoa frags and 1 paly frag in the tank. After a few weeks, our son started waking up at night coughing. This got worse and worse for weeks until it became an every night thing requiring a relief inhaler.

I read an article in Coral Magazine about these things and just how toxic even a few grams of it can be. Got to thinking about all the bubbles popping in the skimmer and sump and thought it would be worth seeing about to remove them for a while. Fortunately, I was able to re-home them in a friends tank.

Immediately, my son began sleeping through the night and hasn't had an issue since. That was nearly a month ago.

Suffice it to say, we won't try them again.

Wow...that's a new one. The evidence seems solid. Zoas come in all sorts of toxic strengths, most are pretty benign. Some are lethal as heck. Those toxins are extruded as part of the Zoas protective slime coat. It certainly isn't impossible that some of it could be aerosolized as a result of skimming action. But that's the first I have ever heard it reported.

Any pictures of the zoas? Might be good to know if any of us have the same type and be aware of any concerns if we have some that are the same.

thats freaky I thought it was only toxic if you ingested the toxin after handling them
not from air bubbles from the skimmer
hope your sons doing ok now

Yeah... Getting some pictures or hearing what they were would be great. I've always heard of possible problems with touching them, but never anything like this. I just got a couple little frags (King Midas and Flaming Punk Rockers). Hearing this sort of thing kinda worries me. Glad to hear everyone is okay.

Pictures please. Also, that is why one should never boil rocks. It is not just by ingesting them, the airborne particles are toxic as well.

I can't post the pics - used up my quota. But they were eagles eye and watermelon. I don't remember what the palys were but they red and black. My son has been fine ever since I removed them.

I can't post the pics - used up my quota. But they were eagles eye and watermelon. I don't remember what the palys were but they red and black. My son has been fine ever since I removed them.

You can post your pics in an album here at AA and then you can image them in your posts still.

Most protein skimmers have a cap with a vent hole in it on the top of the skimmer cup. It might be a good precaution to stuff a small bit of filter floss in or over that hole to eliminate any airborne particulates the bubbles could be throwing off. Your son might be sensitive to other things in the tank as well.

Back
Top Bottom