Is it true what they say about zoanthids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatoeSc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've read horror stories about this little beginner coral. I have a tank set up in a room for my 6 year old son.... Should I steer clear?

As long as your son doesn't have a habit of reaching in the tank and putting things from it into his mouth everything will be fine. The toxin needs to get into your blood stream to be an issue so as long as he keeps his hands out of the tank there's no worries.

It's generally the harvested species that produce a lot of palytoxin. Aquacultured species are much less toxic. Also its pretty hard to get poisoned by a zoanthid/palythoa unless you try to eat it so just make it impossible for him to eat them :). Generally the dose you get from touching aggravated zoanthids is approx 0.5% of what it would take to kill you. I read a great article on palytoxin and its effects before I'm trying to find it to link

I will add that one time I was gluing some zoa polyps (gluing not cutting) As I was going to wash my hands off I absentmindedly picked a piece of hair off of my tongue and 1/2 of my tongue went numb for about 10 minutes.

The general affects are tingling,numbness, and upset stomach. If you have ever fragged zoas with open cuts on your arms/hands you will have noticed the slight tingling. I am a welder by trade and always have cuts on my arms/hands. I have been fragging zoos for a few years and I've never worn gloves. Never had any issues other than tingling/numbness.

We're talking about a tank in a six year olds room. Not an adult. And as the saying goes boys will be boys.

If it were me I would stay away from zoas, palys, etc...

We're talking about a tank in a six year olds room. Not an adult. And as the saying goes boys will be boys.

If it were me I would stay away from zoas, palys, etc...

A 6 year old should be more than capable of understanding that fish tank stuff doesn't go in his mouth.

Maybe, maybe not. The op posed the question so he is concerned. And should be IMO.

Palytoxin is the worst but isn't the only toxic hazard found in saltwater aquariums. A quick google search on coral toxins will give you an idea.

Most of you who haven't had issues have been fortunate and probably take it for granted. I know a reefer who ended up in the hospital for taking a chance putting hands in tank with open wounds.

Reefs are beautiful to watch but use caution as there are hidden dangers.

IMO avoid zoas, palys, or any button polyp for your son's tank.

Maybe, maybe not. The op posed the question so he is concerned. And should be IMO.

Palytoxin is the worst but isn't the only toxic hazard found in saltwater aquariums. A quick google search on coral toxins will give you an idea.

Most of you who haven't had issues have been fortunate and probably take it for granted. I know a reefer who ended up in the hospital for taking a chance putting hands in tank with open wounds.

Reefs are beautiful to watch but use caution as there are hidden dangers.

IMO avoid zoas, palys, or any button polyp for your son's tank.

I'm afraid I'm inclined to agree. I know it's reasonable to think nothing would go wrong, but it just doesn't seem like a good idea. If we had a reef tank in the family area, I think it would be different.

May seem like a stupid analogy, but I wouldn't put a vial of snakes venom in his room as a decoration, either. It's perfectly safe since it's not in the snake... but what if curious George decided to open it up? I know it's a stretch, but I'm gonna have to go with another kind of coral, I'm afraid.

I'm disappointed, too. These are some of the coolest looking "beginner" corals you can find. They even have the perfect names on some of them for a 6 year old boy. I've seen purple and green ones called "jokers" and red and blue ones called "Supermans" etc.

So... just another example of the importance of researching what you put in the tank, I suppose. For me, I will ere on the side of caution. Hey, what are your thoughts on lionfish?

... just kidding...

What size tank were you planing on? Self-contained biocube or more traditional tank?

I am sure your son will be happy just having a tank in his room.

What size tank were you planing on? Self-contained biocube or more traditional tank?

I am sure your son will be happy just having a tank in his room.

It's actually up and running now. It's a 25 gallon traditional tank with a Berlin setup. Right now? its home to 2 ocelaris clowns and a number of hermit crabs and snails. Here's a couple of pics.

Attachments

• image-3402961681.jpg
    image-3402961681.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 127
  • image-2699719046.jpg
    image-2699719046.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 124
water and a young child just dont mix sorry my kids always played with water when they were little and if I wasn't around Im sure something would have went wrong

What is the light fixture? Looks like some sort of led.

No... it's actually a dual bulb T5. It has a 14 watt 10,000K and a 14 watt blue actinic. Not the best light, but great to start with. Unbelievably, the fixture came with the kit, but it was bulbed for plants. I just switched them out for SW bulbs.

water and a young child just dont mix sorry my kids always played with water when they were little and if I wasn't around Im sure something would have went wrong

I tend to agree, but my son was given a 5 gallon as a gift, then later we upgraded to a 10 gallon... both FW. There was never a time that he tried to get into them or mess with the water or fish. He helped me clean them and really has learned how to treat them.

I am considering putting a lock on the stand, though. Lot's of electric items in water under there... heater, skimmer, and pump. Not to mention the light over the refugium.

You could go with mushrooms instead. They're a great beginner coral. Many of the responses were from adults saying that's the only effect they've had from touching zoas. The immune system and tolerance level of a six year old is much different. I would hold off on those with a child.

I don't think a 6 year old should be messing with anything in any type of fish tank. It's trouble waiting to happen. IMO.

Can you tell me why? He has helped clean the inside of his old FW guppy tank and actually takes a little pride in taking care of his own stuff... Of course I'm right they with him and while he goes and scrubs his hands, I redo the work! :)

Back
Top Bottom