Is Maroon Coralline Algae a Thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCXGT

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my tank has started to develop these very deep red/maroon patches on the rockwork.

I did think it was Cyano, until I did some googling and found that it didn't look or act like Cyano in any way.

I tried to turkey-baste it off, nothing happened.

Jabbed at it with a pair of tweezers, nothing happened.

Scrubbed it with a hard toothbrush, yet again, nothing.

So now I'm wondering if it's a calcareous algae.

My lights are off at the mo so this is a pic I found online of an identical happening: http://www.thereeftank.com/gallery/files/5/6/5/6/3/image_946147_original.jpg

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes. Coralline comes in different colors.

I've always thought of Coralline as a sort of endgame type thing that shows how stable a reef is..

My tank is only 2 months old.

No. It is not an indicator of how good your tank is doing, but it's an indicator that you have coralline algae present in your aquarium and it's spreading. It's pretty easy to grow, if present. You don't even need good lighting.

No. It is not an indicator of how good your tank is doing, but it's an indicator that you have coralline algae present in your aquarium and it's spreading. It's pretty easy to grow, if present. You don't even need good lighting.

I had pink coralline in the tank, but this red stuff is all new to me.

I have the same color coralline in my 20 gallon along with purple and green(the green looks horrible)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have the same color coralline in my 20 gallon along with purple and green(the green looks horrible)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think I've started getting green as well..

It looks like the tank's infected or something XD

I have purple, red, green and bright pink. lol It just depends on what you introduced into your tank as far as coralline. Cause as you know it doesnt just spring outta no where, it has to physically be brought into the tank, on a rock, frag or even a snails shell. :)

I have purple, red, green and bright pink. lol It just depends on what you introduced into your tank as far as coralline. Cause as you know it doesnt just spring outta no where, it has to physically be brought into the tank, on a rock, frag or even a snails shell. :)

I had quite a bit of the pink stuff on my rock but only small specks of the maroon stuff.

I guess I was expecting the pink stuff to take off first.

Is the green stuff a bright green?

Pretty bright... I'd say like a grassy colour.

My diatoms have just gone and the green stuff is growing now, no clue what it is.

It's definitely not hair algae though.

Pretty bright... I'd say like a grassy colour.

My diatoms have just gone and the green stuff is growing now, no clue what it is.

It's definitely not hair algae though.

Hmm! I think I have the same stuff growing lol.

img_3134420_0_319fa3f035db31c57a5af485ef33c4ea.jpg

Back
Top Bottom