is my anemone sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pairenoid

Aquarium Advice Freak
i got all the common symptoms, bleached, moved to a spot in partial shade, and wont eat. I tried feeding it pelllets since everything else just bounced off of him, and after i come back in 10 minutes the pellets are all shredded up like ground beef and he hasnt eaten it. I hear they can eat it and throw it up but it just looks like ground beef. On top of that hes all shrunk up and his tentacles shrunk up too

is that how they eat?

No. That's not how they eat. Anemones are not for new tanks. They have a much lower mortality rate in established systems.
Something is not kosher in your tank. a Parameter? Maybe it needs better acclimation to the new lighting?

perfect paramters, running on 7 months, havent had a swing since cycle
its been a week it can still be acclimating? i dripped for 1 hour

Let me share an experience I had. I purchased a rose bubble tip from a wholesale supplier. Chances are that it came almost directly from the ocean. If you bought your BTA from the LFS, this is probably the same situation.
Anyway, it was slightly bleached. I tossed it in, and it bounced around for a bit then attached. The next day it was in a dark crevice, about half way up. I just assumed (as everyone else does) that it will eventually come out and get happy.
Not having a brain, the anemone just stayed in the dark area and started to get lighter and lighter until I got a little worried. It never came out to the light. Very strange, I thought, but again- no brain= not a problem solver, so I turned the rock upright so the anemone was in the light. The next day, it was underneath in the dark again. lighter and lighter it got Until finally I decided to point a light towards it. I got an LED, screw-in, floodlight and pointed it at the nem, through the front pane.
Ugly, yes, but it saved it.
img_2319454_0_d1a8267a53e4cc1194b5d0897f9775ad.jpg

img_2319454_1_4256180d168ddc824b2efb4ebf6b8b82.jpg

img_2319454_2_5a90742a0c514ee64c764ac310aab940.jpg

So, eventually, it went from this-
img_2319454_3_6aaf08a6395d11f435b899701fa196bd.jpg

...to this-
img_2319454_4_dd9b64fdb8147808011ee1a4c1bd856f.jpg

guess ill have to buy new lights, i was told several times that t5's would be sufficient since my tank is only 12 inches high, i placed the anemone at the top and it goes down though

not sure if ill upgrade..maybe ill just get a frogspawn instead :/. If it dies what do i do?

They are sufficient. You missed the point of my story. You might have to rig up a temporary light to acclimate it.

after feeding my anemone pellets twice, im not even sure if it ate it, but today i looked and my anemones tentacles are getting fatter :)

they look more like fat with a pointed tip instead of a tube, i think the color is the same though, if at all a little better

Stop trying to feed it. The tentacles being bubbled up doesn't really have much of a indication on health if it is bleaching. In the end, since anemones need pristine waters continuing to feed and fail like this will cause parameter issues and get in the way of you successfully keeping this anemone.

MrX what light did you use? I'm in the same boat with my green BTA. I'd like to do something similar. What type of LEDs? Thanks

Believe it or not, that floodlight was a plain old 5000k LED flood from a wholesale store called Ollies. It's like a Big Lots, if you have one of those. I haven't seen those since then though, because I wanted to get a few more, as they were only 20 bucks. Home depot and Lowes are carrying an assortment of these for like 25-50 dollars, and also the Reef hobby stores have them now too, but they have added some blues and are selling them for 50-80 dollars. Typical.

I was looking up small led fixtures, do you think a strip of 13.8 watt would work? I know nothing about lights. Hubby does all that stuff.

Back
Top Bottom