Is my anemone splitting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

143gadgets

Aquarium Advice Activist
I asked if i could keep one and my LFS said yes, but u guys sad no because of the age of my tank and because of my lighting. But i am looking aty my anemone and it looks like it is splitting in two. I will try to post a pic using my camera phone but i don't think the resolutioin will look good. What do u guys think? For specs of my tank look at my sig.

Try standing back al ittle if your using auto focus..A clear picture is better than a blob when asking for help ; ) As for splitting, my reading indicates its typically caused by stress. While it can happen to any tank at any time, splitting may actually be yet another sign of stress either from acclimation or other environmental issues. As for poo-pooing your keeping an anemone, I don't see why..I have an LTA that is sooo happy in my 29G tank. Sure when he out grows it it'll have to go, but so will the sailfin blenny in there ; ) Hope it comes out well for ya..

GL!

Sorry to be the bearer of MORE bad news, but that anemone looks extremely bleached :| The color should be more tan/brown/green.

Looks like you 60 watts of NO light and newly setup tank are streesing out the anemone.

This was the color of it when i bought it. It was actually the color of all of the ones they had. I went to another local fish store and they also had some of these that were the same color. I am really confused as to what this invert is. I don't know the species but every LFS I go to says that they don't need specific lighting. I think it is a condalactus or haitian pink tip. I am very pissed with my LFS because i just callled and talked to a different guy and he told me that they do need special lighting.

I am very *beep* with my LFS because i just callled and talked to a different guy and he told me that they do need special lighting.

Gotta be real careful with inverts and corals, there is a lot of misinformation out there about care requirements.

I think you may need to do more research both in livestock and lfs. If they can't tell you what you bought and how to care for it who will?

I would suggest that you figure out what you want and wait until you see it at the LFS to buy. Don't just buy what they have.

It looks like a condylactus to me but can't be so sure.

PC may not have a lot of space for his anenome, but he has he light req.

If you want to keep these guys, you will need to add some light. :idea: :wink:

I have not known the Condy to spli in captivity, but it may. Like already stated...this anemone looks bleeched and shouldhave not been purchased in that condition. Sounds like the LFS gave you very bad info. I would see if they will take it back or at least give you store credit for it. It will not survive long with that lighitng. Do not feel bad, most of us have received very poor info from a LFS at one point or another. Treat it as a learning experience. Research all new additions BEFORE you get them. It will really save you in the long run.

Do not feel bad, most of us have received very poor info from a LFS at one point or another. Treat it as a learning experience. Research all new additions BEFORE you get them
Great advice. You could try feeding it a very small(.25 inches or less) piece of raw shrimp for now since your lighting is less than optimal. Also I'm very happy gadget to see you are trying your best to help this animal. Kudos coming your way. Good luck.

Thanks MT79. I am gonna have to hold out on the LR i just ordered my light and it will give me about 4 watts/gal. It will be here on monday so the anemone should be ok until then.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom