Is my carbon doing anything?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vipvenom

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,
I just wanted to know what carbon does in a marine tank. Also, I want to know if how I am using it is helping. I have two small nylon bags filled with active carbon that I put next to my sponge filter in my overflow box. They get a good deal of water passing overthem but are they helping my tank?

thanks,
Chris

I think you are doing ok with them there. I keep mine in my skimmer. The way I understand it is, the carbon is used to removed toxins/chemicals and a general water polisher.

Wow very interesting article. I never thought about the fact that carbon could be removing some trace elements needed for corals! I have no corals right now but the protein skimmer is on the way. So maybe after I get my skimmer up and running I will have to reduce my carbon supply when I plan on getting corals.

I am not a big proponent of cabon use in the marine tank. It seems to remove to much in my oppinion. I rely heavily on my skimmer and like fiddling with the settings to get the max skimmate I can. Kind of like seeing how far you get on a ful tank of gas. In my opinion carbon has a very specific use. Remove chemicals in the tank that should not have been there in the first place: ie Copper

Hmm. I didn't think carbon removed copper. It does removed chemicals though that can occur with corals and anemones. Doing regular water changes replaces any trace elements that may be removed by the carbon. I run it 24/7.

Do not buy into the myth concerning carbon use, it's hogwash. Along with regular water changes and proper skimming, it's one af the best things you can do for the health of your tank. As far as copper is concered, yes it will remove it. The best product by far though for that prupose is a polyfilter.

Impregnated activated carbon for environmental protection
About Activated Carbon
Granular Activated Carbon In The Reef Tank: Fact, Folklore And Its Effectiveness In Removing Gelbstoff — Part Two

Use it, it's good stuff... (y)

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom