Is my clam gaping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquaman99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wondering if the intake hole looks acceptable.

img_1190683_0_9c345009d362e7347a4486f36ece1139.jpg

I am looking to purchase a clam soon and was wondering what you guys mean by gaping? And any other information that might be helpful before I purchase?

It's when the inhalent siphon is open (gaping) wider than it should be. Normally is is a slit or slightly open. Gaping is when it is wide open.

So I am assuming that would be a bad thing if open more then it should be.what would cause something like that? I just wanna be prepared with some info ahead of time Before purchasing

Thanks good to know because I only have 130 watts over my 60 gallon tank...would that be okay? If so which clam can be okay with this amount of lighting

yes, that's compact florescent, or power compact lighting. that type of lighting doesn't penetrate very well. i'm not sure it's enough for the clam. i guess you'll have to wait and see.

You may be ok with a Tridacna derasa clam. They require a bit less light and can be placed in a rock recess in the upper half of the tank. Once attached, do not move it. Derasa clams can grow quickly, reaching 8" or more in a year.

As a reference point, I have mine under a 6 bulb T5 fixture that is putting out 324 Watts.

I had it sitting on rocks on the sandbed to acclimate it to the light and let it attach to the rock.

I moved it up the rockwork a little bit this morning.

I`m thinking you`ll be Ok with a squamosa clam. I have pics of the one I had in my images.

Back
Top Bottom