Is my clownfish having seizures?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishsticks

Aquarium Advice Regular
So for a while now I have noticed one of my clownfish twitches from time to time, kinda looks like he's having a seizure under water? Is this normal? I have two clownfish in my 30 gal reef tank. The smaller of the two is the one switching. They have been together for around 6 months. I have yet to see the large one twitch.

Mine did the twitching dance when they were setting up who was the female and who was the male. Could yours just be at this stage? It's freaky to watch too, mine still does it every once in awhile so I think it's normal. :)

carey said:
Mine did the twitching dance when they were setting up who was the female and who was the male. Could yours just be at this stage? It's freaky to watch too, mine still does it every once in awhile so I think it's normal. :)

Ok... That's a relief. The bigger one is by far the dominant one, which I guess will be the female. They have both been hosted by a LTA for some time now which I have heard entices breeding . If and when they start to breed. Is there an easy way to make sure the eggs hatch and produce healthy offspring?

Breeding clowns is a really really tough thing to do. I think people will put in an "egg rock" for them to spawn on and then remove the rock with the eggs. At least thats how my LFS does it. He's been doing it for over a year and has about 5 tiny clowns to show for it. lol ANd his clowns lay eggs every couple weeks.

I'd do some googling and see what you can come up with.

Good luck though if you get them to breed!

Yep their sorting out whose boss. We paired 2 gold banded maroon clowns last year. The male does the twitchy thing as a submissive to the female. Ours now lay eggs every 2 weeks

Coralhunter said:
Yep their sorting out whose boss. We paired 2 gold banded maroon clowns last year. The male does the twitchy thing as a submissive to the female. Ours now lay eggs every 2 weeks

How long from the "twitches" can I expect to see some eggs?

I'm no expert but I think it depends on the type of clowns and also the size. It took ours about 2 yrs but they where paired when quite small. We moved house last year got a much bigger tank and put in a long tentacled anenome together with our existing 2 carpets and they host the long tentacled with occasional visits to the carpets. We've not tried raising babies as we don't have the knowledge or frankly the time.

Back
Top Bottom