Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-03-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Is my Coral dying ?

I added a coloured button polyp to my marine fish tank about 2 weeks ago. It appears all shrivelled and looks like it is dying. Can anyone advise or help me ? It is my first and only coral in the tank at the moment.

The first image is it when I put it in the tank and the second is it now. It seems much smaller and just doesn't look healthy. It is positioned at the bottom of my tank in the middle.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1621652467.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	196258   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2861816762.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	196259  

Old 09-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ads_1205 View Post
I added a coloured button polyp to my marine fish tank about 2 weeks ago. It appears all shrivelled and looks like it is dying. Can anyone advise or help me ? It is my first and only coral in the tank at the moment.

The first image is it when I put it in the tank and the second is it now. It seems much smaller and just doesn't look healthy. It is positioned at the bottom of my tank in the middle.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
It don't look healthy in either picture to me
What are your water parameters including your salinity and temp... What kind of lighting and size of tank???

Old 09-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #3

The tank is only small 80 litres so just under 18 gallons. The light is the one that came inbuilt with the tank. The tank is Aquaworld MT50-marine.

I get my water tested at the aquarium centre I bought the tank and all my stock from every two weeks and these are the results they gave me last time I visited.

Salt level - 1.025
Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - 0
Nitrate <10(<50) - 10
PH - 8.4
Phosphate - 0.03
KH - 11
Calcium - 450

The current temperature is between 25 and 26. I have just moved the coral into an area of greater flow as it had become tucked under my live rock
This is another picture I took when i first got it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1796628052.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	196266  
Old 09-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

What bulb is in the fixture. the stock light is a 18W PL (CF) bulb, but is it actinic?
Old 09-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ads_1205 View Post
The tank is only small 80 litres so just under 18 gallons. The light is the one that came inbuilt with the tank. The tank is Aquaworld MT50-marine.

I get my water tested at the aquarium centre I bought the tank and all my stock from every two weeks and these are the results they gave me last time I visited.

Salt level - 1.025
Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - 0
Nitrate <10(<50) - 10
PH - 8.4
Phosphate - 0.03
KH - 11
Calcium - 450

The current temperature is between 25 and 26. I have just moved the coral into an area of greater flow as it had become tucked under my live rock
This is another picture I took when i first got it.
That pic looks a lot better, well they do! But your lighting ( The MT-50 also includes an energy efficient 18w PL bulb, suitable for plant growth) is what it said for this aquarium web site and I think that may be your problem?
As far as testing your water, plz do it your self. It's a pain but at least you'll know it's done wright. I wouldn't trust my LFS
Old 09-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #6

Also try adding copepods ( they are planktonic so you will need proper lighting for them to live as well) as they are pretty much the main ingredient of marine life
Old 09-05-2013, 04:18 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I am in agreement that lighting is likely the issue here. I would really suggest trying to upgrade the light.

How long ago did you move them to the new location?

I do disagree with adding copepods however. They won't do anything productive for your tank since zoanthids won't eat them. First and foremost a zoanthid's energy source is lighting.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #8

Moved them yesterday out from under the live rock and now I have moved it on top of the live rock closer to my light.

What would be a good light to upgrade too ?

Should I increase the time I have the light on for if the coral lives of light ?
Old 09-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wrong light left on longer will just promote algae growth.

There are CF bulbs that are designed for corals (50/50 actinic bulbs), but I don't know if they will fit you socket. I would bring it to a LFS and see if they have something that matches the ends.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com