Is my Coral dying ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ads_1205

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I added a coloured button polyp to my marine fish tank about 2 weeks ago. It appears all shrivelled and looks like it is dying. Can anyone advise or help me ? It is my first and only coral in the tank at the moment.

The first image is it when I put it in the tank and the second is it now. It seems much smaller and just doesn't look healthy. It is positioned at the bottom of my tank in the middle.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• image-1621652467.jpg
    image-1621652467.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 126
  • image-2861816762.jpg
    image-2861816762.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 115
I added a coloured button polyp to my marine fish tank about 2 weeks ago. It appears all shrivelled and looks like it is dying. Can anyone advise or help me ? It is my first and only coral in the tank at the moment.

The first image is it when I put it in the tank and the second is it now. It seems much smaller and just doesn't look healthy. It is positioned at the bottom of my tank in the middle.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

It don't look healthy in either picture to me :(
What are your water parameters including your salinity and temp... What kind of lighting and size of tank???

The tank is only small 80 litres so just under 18 gallons. The light is the one that came inbuilt with the tank. The tank is Aquaworld MT50-marine.

I get my water tested at the aquarium centre I bought the tank and all my stock from every two weeks and these are the results they gave me last time I visited.

Salt level - 1.025
Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - 0
Nitrate <10(<50) - 10
PH - 8.4
Phosphate - 0.03
KH - 11
Calcium - 450

The current temperature is between 25 and 26. I have just moved the coral into an area of greater flow as it had become tucked under my live rock
This is another picture I took when i first got it.

Attachments

• image-1796628052.jpg
    image-1796628052.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 105
The tank is only small 80 litres so just under 18 gallons. The light is the one that came inbuilt with the tank. The tank is Aquaworld MT50-marine.

I get my water tested at the aquarium centre I bought the tank and all my stock from every two weeks and these are the results they gave me last time I visited.

Salt level - 1.025
Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - 0
Nitrate <10(<50) - 10
PH - 8.4
Phosphate - 0.03
KH - 11
Calcium - 450

The current temperature is between 25 and 26. I have just moved the coral into an area of greater flow as it had become tucked under my live rock
This is another picture I took when i first got it.

That pic looks a lot better, well they do! But your lighting ( The MT-50 also includes an energy efficient 18w PL bulb, suitable for plant growth) is what it said for this aquarium web site and I think that may be your problem?
As far as testing your water, plz do it your self. It's a pain but at least you'll know it's done wright. I wouldn't trust my LFS

Also try adding copepods ( they are planktonic so you will need proper lighting for them to live as well) as they are pretty much the main ingredient of marine life

I am in agreement that lighting is likely the issue here. I would really suggest trying to upgrade the light.

How long ago did you move them to the new location?

I do disagree with adding copepods however. They won't do anything productive for your tank since zoanthids won't eat them. First and foremost a zoanthid's energy source is lighting.

Moved them yesterday out from under the live rock and now I have moved it on top of the live rock closer to my light.

What would be a good light to upgrade too ?

Should I increase the time I have the light on for if the coral lives of light ?

Wrong light left on longer will just promote algae growth.

There are CF bulbs that are designed for corals (50/50 actinic bulbs), but I don't know if they will fit you socket. I would bring it to a LFS and see if they have something that matches the ends.

Back
Top Bottom