Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Is my Kenya Tree Coral sick? (i'm new to corals) *PIX incuded*

I bought 3 frags of Kenya Tree Coral 2month ago. they were doing great. i saw their roots cover my rock in just few weeks. however,
about 3days ago they began shrinking and i noticed they became a little slimy and had some tiny silver glitter looking air bubbles on them.

yesterday i decided to give them a Coral Dip. and when i woke up today i saw one open up a little. however the 2other remain closed.

what is going on?

could it be because:
i added miracle mud to my sump 5days ago? (the same glitter looking air bubbles are seem to be on top of the miracle mud)

because a week ago i placed them under brighter light and more flow? (i have led radion light fixture)

the 3 frags are very close to each other and sometimes touch each other when fully extended. (however i thought they are not aggressive)

i also read that leather corals do this sometime. it's their way of cleaning themselves, shedding skin or fragging themselves. (should i just leave them alone? )

any advise/ tips?

Left pic NOW.
Right pic Before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0354.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	137014   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0331.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	137015  

Old 12-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

They shed their outer skin before growing, keep that in mind

Old 12-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A highe " no no" to wat u did. Adding miracle mud to an establish tank. I assume it is establish, I hope.

Anytime u add extra subtrade will create mini cycle and nitrate ammonia even phosphate will spike during the time. Not to mention mirical mud had a lot of free floating mineral when it first introduce. Your coral could just react to spike. The result can go both ways. Best thing to do is test ur water and maybe do 10% water change daily to make sure the coral does get worse. However soft coral does happen to shred like that and it is usual. If u didn't mentioned about ur mud introduction
Old 12-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I appreciate the help buddy but there is no problem with adding mud to an established tank. there are no ammonia/ nitrate spikes. trust me. i have more sensitive creatures in my tank that would die if an ammonia/ nitrate spike ever would occur. however, miracle mud is nothing like adding live sand or live rock to the aquarium. i did a lot of research before going with it.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Honestly, these corals are a bit moody. Mine has looked like yours currently does many times but it always bounces back.. If its this way for about a week an a half then i would be a bit worried
Old 12-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks!

Tags
coral, corals, ick, kenya, kenya tree, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com