Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-25-2005, 01:35 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliskier
Can't breed hermits?
No, hermits will not reproduce in your tank. They may "breed" but the fry will never reach adulthood in an aquarium. There is just not a large enough variety of plankton, be it phyto or zoo, to feed on. Also in such a small environment predation would be a problem.

Old 08-25-2005, 08:44 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermz79
If your local HD doesn't have the playsand everyone refers too (mine didn't ) check out www.premiumaquatics.com they have some pretty good prices for sand!
Yeah, I am in Oklahoma and I don't think they do either. I will check that site out.

Old 08-25-2005, 08:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaham358
Dry sand will cloud your tank when you first fill the tank with water and it could tank a few days to clear up. So if you do use it cover it with garbage bags and fill the tank by pouring water into a bowl placed on the bags. Leave the bags in until the tank is full, this will cut down a lot on the cloudy water.
Good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaham358
Clean up crew IMO 1 crab per gallon is way too many. I have maybe 40 in my reef and I also have about 30-40 snails. And IMO they will not bread in a tank, if they do they become food.
LS in a bag IMO is not worth the money... Buying play sand and then getting 5lb of real LS to seed it would be the way to go..
Thanks for the advice on the crabs, I thought that was a bit much myself. And the sand, I just got the feeling that she was trying to make a sale.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
2 per gallon for smaller tanks (hermits) is usually right but it would be a little toomuch if you had over 100 of htem.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lando
Check out Home Depot for tropical playsand. You can get a 50lb bag for $8. Make sure it is aragonite based and not silocate sand. As for the crabs, 1/gal is a bit extreme. Geez, have they tried to sell you any tank or reef suppliments yet? I would find a new fish store.
I am thinking about not going back there, though they have a pretty large sellection of fish
Old 08-25-2005, 08:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT79
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliskier
Can't breed hermits?
No, hermits will not reproduce in your tank. They may "breed" but the fry will never reach adulthood in an aquarium. There is just not a large enough variety of plankton, be it phyto or zoo, to feed on. Also in such a small environment predation would be a problem.
That's too bad, thank goodness they are so cheep. Can you breed anything in a saltwater tank?
Old 08-25-2005, 11:23 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just found your post Cali. Yes. Some clownfish will breed in your tank. And, snails will reproduce quickly sometimes. I have heard of some Cardinal fish breeding in captivity as well. Regarding the sand, if you find the stuff at Home Depot that would be great. Then, you can just seed it with some live sand from an existing setup... Such as mine for free. I hear a few cups of live sand will do the trick.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:05 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Where can you get LS? If none of my LFS don't sell it, are there any online dealers?
Old 08-26-2005, 09:54 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, I googled "live sand" and came up with this: http://www.petco.com/shop/product.as...MReferringUrl=

Not sure if that was the brand you were looking for. But, there were several other types as well. Odd, almost every one of the LFS's here have live sand in a bag. Not sure how alive it is, but I suppose it's better than nothing.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:09 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks. I have heard the bagged stuff isn't so alive after being bagged for so long. I will call the lfs today and see if they have any like you might buy LR... un bagged, straight from a tank...

Tags
feeding, lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com