Is my lfs right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SwimsWithFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
So today I went to check out a lfs and he said I could put 7-8 fish(if there all small-medium and can go in a 29) in my biocube 29 reef tank. He said as long as I do weekly 10% pwc I would be fine. Could I do it if it was a mix of bottom dwellers and active fish? Everywhere else says 6 tops but he said 7-8. What do you guys think? Here's my current list with 6 fish.
1 occelaris clown
1 royal gramma
1 bangaii cardinal
1 yellow watchman goby
1 six line wrasse
1 purple fire fish

Could I do 1-2 more or no?

It all depends on the bipolar of the fish. With more fish is more waste. I personally wouldn't do 8 fish in that small of a tank no matter what the bio load was.

Think of it this way- one person in a three bedroom apartment can keep a clean house. even 5 people could. But you start putting more than that and the house gets dirty a lot faster to the point that the maid of the house (you for your tank) would have to clean up a lot more. And even then- who wants to live in that dirty house if you are only cleaning once a week?

As jlsardina said to just give a number isn't the best way to decide when you're fully stocked. It depends on the bioload. To say you can have say 10 fish in a 125 is fine but if all 10 of those fish are hippo tangs then its not gonna work. That being said, IMO I would leave the list as is.

So today I went to check out a lfs and he said I could put 7-8 fish(if there all small-medium and can go in a 29) in my biocube 29 reef tank. He said as long as I do weekly 10% pwc I would be fine. Could I do it if it was a mix of bottom dwellers and active fish? Everywhere else says 6 tops but he said 7-8. What do you guys think? Here's my current list with 6 fish.
1 occelaris clown
1 royal gramma
1 bangaii cardinal
1 yellow watchman goby
1 six line wrasse
1 purple fire fish

Could I do 1-2 more or no?

Yeah, my LFS told me 11-12 in my biocube 29 :huh: I don't think so, lol!

This morning my LFS sold a Tomato clown pair and Maroon Gold-Stripe clown pair to a woman who was going to put both in her 14 gallon tank. She already has a Percula pair. Something tells me that the 6 fish are not all still alive and thriving in that tank right now :/

Greenturtle said:
This morning my LFS sold a Tomato clown pair and Maroon Gold-Stripe clown pair to a woman who was going to put both in her 14 gallon tank. She already has a Percula pair. Something tells me that the 6 fish are not all still alive and thriving in that tank right now :/

Yeeaaa...about that haha. The worst part about that is WHEN the maroons kill all the other pairs the tank is still too small for them. That's sad, I would have had to say something to that lady.

Aww:/ yeah the lfs guy was really cool. He said he denies people business if he knows they can't take care of the fish. He said a woman came in and asked if she could keep a clown alive in a freshwater fish bowl for 2 days for a church event. He said they would die and she tried to get him to sell them to her and he refused. Really cool guy... He reminded me of Herman Caine.

BallinCrew10 said:
Yeeaaa...about that haha. The worst part about that is WHEN the maroons kill all the other pairs the tank is still too small for them. That's sad, I would have had to say something to that lady.

That is the LFS that is down the street. I was looking at the dry rock for a new tank of mine. I buy my fish from one 45 minutes away, so it is more of a RFS (regional fish store) I remember that on my first visit, the employee absolutely would not sell a baby humu humu triggerfish to this person with a 30 gallon tank. they also QT their fish for 2 weeks before they go on sale. Which just means 2 less weeks in my QT tank :}

Oh, and believe me, I was not being quiet during the clownfish ordeal ;) I talked her out of getting some tangs for the tank in addition to the clowns.

Greenturtle said:
That is the LFS that is down the street. I was looking at the dry rock for a new tank of mine. I buy my fish from one 45 minutes away, so it is more of a RFS (regional fish store) I remember that on my first visit, the employee absolutely would not sell a baby humu humu triggerfish to this person with a 30 gallon tank. they also QT their fish for 2 weeks before they go on sale. Which just means 2 less weeks in my QT tank :}

Oh, and believe me, I was not being quiet during the clownfish ordeal ;) I talked her out of getting some tangs for the tank in addition to the clowns.

Good for you!:) all the lfs I go to look at me funny when I start talking about skimmers and refugiums and water quality.(I'm 14 but look like I'm 12) it's kinda fun:D

SwimsWithFish said:
Good for you!:) all the lfs I go to look at me funny when I start talking about skimmers and refugiums and water quality.(I'm 14 but look like I'm 12) it's kinda fun:D

God..and act like your 12!!! Some people are so annoying! Lolololol jkjkjkjk mattias your a boss hahahah :D
Ya, my lfs is the same way, i ask alot of questions, even though i know most of the answers hahahah

SwimsWithFish said:

Lol. Try being a 27 year old chick that still gets asked go highschool is for me. Lol. And I really throw people off when the guy at my LFS looks to me when he draws a blank and the people in the store are asking questions. It still cracks me up. I help my guy at the LFS when he's backed up. I've bagged fish, tested water and given advice. Only thing I've never done is check people out and acclimate fish in ( and that's cause the owner is there for that). Lol

SwimsWithFish said:

The LFS knows me by a first name basis, I guess because I am easy to remember. they don't see a lot of 8th graders educating adults on the cycling process. They have my 29 Biocube stocklist written down by the cash register, and if one of the fish shows up at the store (which is unlikely as I have a relatively rare-fish stocklist and they mainly just get common fish like clownfish, tangs, and damsels) they will hold it for me. They know that I haven't even started the cycle yet also.

Gboy66 said:
God..and act like your 12!!! Some people are so annoying! Lolololol jkjkjkjk mattias your a boss hahahah :D
Ya, my lfs is the same way, i ask alot of questions, even though i know most of the answers hahahah

Lmao! Gboy your bossanova!!

Yeah, your stocking list is good as it is, 7-8 is pushing it, especially with the fish you have already. You'll want less fish in a reef tank, to keep nitrates down for the corals.

Funny story: my lfs once told me an ocellaris clown couldn't be in anything less than a 50g and refused to sell me one for my 28g lol. Well meaning, but the guy was old, and probably hadn't kept up with the Berlin method. Bottom line, the lfs is often misguided or plain wrong.

--Adeeb

I say 4 fish in a 29. 5 max. People don’t realize how big fish actually get. Hearing and seeing are two different things. I saw a full grown chromis the other day and was shocked. It was as big if not bigger than the palm of my hand.

Back
Top Bottom