Is my lighting good for all types of corals??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Azul17

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have the ecoxotic panorama marine led fixture for my tank and I was wondering if that's enough for soft corals, sps, Lps, clams, and anemones.

I have two 36" strips and my tank dimensions are 48 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 21 3/8 140 850

By the way this is a photo with specs on my led lights

Attachments

• image-244998080.jpg
    image-244998080.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 114
Ecoxotic have high quality great products. I don't know if that light will grow SPS, but it looks fine for soft and LPS.

Anemones and clams need high lighting so I don't know if it would support those. I'm hoping someone else chimes in b/c I really don't have experience with using LEDs on corals. I have T5 HOs.

I have the ecoxotic panorama marine led fixture for my tank and I was wondering if that's enough for soft corals, sps, Lps, clams, and anemones.

I have two 36" strips and my tank dimensions are 48 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 21 3/8 140 850

No It even says on the website they are only for soft corals.
It doesn't specify the wattage of each diode but im assuming they are around 1 watt since 30 leds and a 35 watt total.

Sps,anemones and clams need high lighting. Leds diodes that are 3 watts+ each.

This is what it says on the description on amazon:
12,000K White & 445nm Blue LEDs - 34.75"x1.75"x1" 35 Watt
Independent control of white & blue LEDs

So I'm assuming since I have two strips I have about 70 watts.
Is that enough for at least soft and sps? Maybe anemone?

not enough for a nem. like someone else said high output 3 watt leds or MH or 6 bulb T5. Have 3 nems and they sit 6 inches under 2x250 MH for reference as to how bright of lighting they need to thrive.

This is what it says on the description on amazon:
12,000K White & 445nm Blue LEDs - 34.75"x1.75"x1" 35 Watt
Independent control of white & blue LEDs

So I'm assuming since I have two strips I have about 70 watts.
Is that enough for at least soft and sps? Maybe anemone?

The problem isnt how much wattage you have but the wattage of each diode which seems to be 1w which is not effective at penetrating very deep of water. This means only the top 1/2 to top 1/3 of your tank may be ok for sps, clams, or nems.

Since nems move i dont recommend a nem since they can simply move to the bottom of the tank and die.

A clam may be hard to place high in the tank comfortably

That leaves sps, and i would start by trying one or 2 in the top of the rockwork and see how it does. Even if they do ok chances are long term they will struggle.

If you want clams nems and sps my advice would be to invest in a better fixture.

For great priced leds that will grow anything look into Kessils.

Ok. Thank you for your help! Seems like I'm only going to be able to put soft and Lps in my tank unless I spend some money on lights first

I was actually looking on the ecoxotic website andfound these pics. It also says for a 125 gallon tank I need two 36" strips. My tank is a 75 gallon and I have two strips. It also says that for sps or clams to add an extra strip. So make me think. I might give it a try with one like you said.

Attachments

• image-4094392105.jpg
    image-4094392105.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 103
  • image-3894268578.jpg
    image-3894268578.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 81
the main concern is still at the 1W per LED. It has a huge PAR/PUR drop after 20".Even on the graph says 20-80 PAR at 16 to 24" deep. If you want to keep SPS/Clam/Anemone. The par require to have at least 250 to 500. With that calculation, you will need at least 4 to 5 of them to even make this possible. Not to mention if your tank is 24", even with 5 of the fixtures you only have around 100 PAR.

Ok. Thanks for the input. I don't think ill be putting any sps or anemones but I do want to try some Lps. Like button coral, candy cane or brain. So far I have green star polyps, leather toad and some mushrooms and zoas and they are doing pretty good.

Attachments

• image-183059406.jpg
    image-183059406.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 66
yup soft coral are fine for sure, LPS need to place rather closer to the top of the tank. I just feel in most cases it would cost way too much to get 1w LED fixture for the price that Ecoxotic selling their strips. The cost of few of this strips is enough to buy a AI Sol.

I know. I'm new to this I've only had the tank for a year and I got the LEDs as a present. Ill probably just stick to softies and next year or two I'm gonna do an upgrade I want a 180 to 300 gallon tank.

Duncans are another coral that would work under that light and they grow so fast. A 300 gallon reef would be epic!

A friend got a 450 gallon one so I'm trying to convince my wife for a bigger one. Lol

Attachments

• image-294170565.jpg
    image-294170565.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 78
Corals

Your corals look great! Jealous cant wait to start mine. Your friends setup looks beautiful as well

Back
Top Bottom