is my Montipora healthy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackdp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi, I've made my first venture into sps corals. I recently put a small Montipora digitata in my 20 long tank. The tank is about 14 inches deep and the coral is about in the middle under 2x55 watt PC lighting (1 10k and 1 actinic bulb) My question: How can I tell if this coral is healthy and happy. It still has its pink color after about 2 weeks except the tips are kinda white. I don't really see any polyps extending but I have heard that some Montipora have polyps so small they can't be seen. The water params seem fine pH=8.0-8.3, temp=81-84, alk=8dkh, Ca=410mg/l, 0 nitrates, 0 ammonia. Also, a thin film of algae keeps growing over the coral giving it a brownish appearance, a snail will clean it off and in a few days it grows back. I just don't want the first sps to die on me. I know my lights are kinda low for sps but in a couple of weeks I am upgrading to 175watt MH and 2x55 PC actinics but for now....help! Thanks

How can I tell if this coral is healthy and happy.

As long as you see good polyp extension, notice at least a little growth each month, don't see "bleaching" (coral turning white) or RTn - rapid tissue necrosis - where the flesh literally peels off, or pulls away from the skeleton, you should be fine. Mostly you are looking for good polyp extension & coloration.

the tips are kinda white

Keep an eye that this doesn't become extreme, but white *tips* (or tips that are a different color than that of the main skeleton) are common, and a sign of growth.

I don't really see any polyps extending but I have heard that some Montipora have polyps so small they can't be seen.

Any chance you can post a pic of the coral? I've never seen a M. digitata that doesn't extend it's polyps.

Also, a thin film of algae keeps growing over the coral giving it a brownish appearance, a snail will clean it off and in a few days it grows back.

This is of great concern, and will quickly kill the coral if not corrected. What type of water flow is in the tank? Sps require moderate to strong water flow, preferably not laminar (one-direction). They need good water flow/current to continually remove any slight algae from their polyps/tissue.

but in a couple of weeks I am upgrading to 175watt MH and 2x55 PC actinics but for now....help!

A few weeks, even a few months under decent PC lighting shouldn't be an issue.

Good luck!

This one shows tank placement....I have a maxi jet 900 shooting from one back corner to the middle and a powersweep 224 (190gph) in the other corner. Maybe this coral just wasn't meant to be. :(

Maybe this coral just wasn't meant to be.

Whoa .... don't give up on it! Actually, the placement is good, and it definitely has good color. I don't see the polyps either, but I certainly don't see any bleaching or RTN. Does that pic show the true color of the coral? Most Monti's I've seen lean more to the "orange" side of the color scale (unless they are brown, purple, or green). Almost looks more like a Porites to me....

Could very well just be a species variation I've never seen. 8)

Hopefully someone else will jump in here too.

Best of luck with it - it's a beautiful piece!!

Well ... your coral looks a lot like the coral in the pic you referenced, but I don't think that coral is a Distichopora. Distichoporas branch their fingers one on "plane". Hmmm....how do I make that make sense - like this picture:

hydrocoral01.jpg

It does have the coloration of a Hydrocoral though, one way to tell if it is, is by the appearance of very fine "hairs" rather than polyps.

Now I'll be searching through all my books for the rest of the night, LOL.

I'm still going to lean toward either a Montipora or a Porites, and I still think it's more likely a Monti than a Porites.

I'll keep looking! ;-)

Looks like a Stylaster spp. (a close relation to Distichopora). Unfortunately, if its being covered in a film algae it is most likely already dead. :(

It also can have that *fake* fuschia-pink coloration

Unless I am mistaken...the coloration on stylophora comes from the polyps, and "skin" the pic in question looks like the skeleton is that color. One reason I would tend to go with stylaster.

The more closely I examine this coral the more I can convince myself of seeing fine hairs extending from the skeleton. Whether these are the dactylzooids I've read about being indicative of this family or just alage I've haven't decided yet. I guess I'll just keep guessing but thanks for all the help :)

If I am not mistaken, Stylaster sp. does not grow in the same "blunted" fashion as Stylophora sp. The scleractinia growth of stylaster is more pointed or flattened. :?:

Cheers
Steve

Hey, just an update....I posted these pics on Reef Central to Eric Borneman and his ID is calling it a sponge. Being much more of an expert than me, I'll have to take his word for it lol.

EricHugo said:
jack, I think I'm going with sponge on yours until we get some better photos.

With all due respect to Eric,

It could be but I'm not completely sold on that idea. Especially since he seems rather unsure.... :?:

Cheers
Steve

Jack, put some rubber gloves on and feel it, is it hard, or soft? A SPS coral will have a hard skeleton, a sponge will be soft.

I think I am coming to the conclusion that I will never know what this is, but then who ever REALLY knows what coral/sponge/crab etc. that they've bought. I will just be happy if it stays pink and healthy :D

Is it hard...or soft?

I will just be happy if it stays pink and healthy

That's what we are aiming for, but until you know what it is, it is very difficult to provide for it's needs.

There really is no "hard/difficult" species, provided it's needs are met, it is knowing the needs and providing them that is difficult for some aquarists.

Back
Top Bottom