Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2011, 12:11 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
bulbs don't go bad sitting on a shelf, and tanks don't "get used to" new lighting...the livestock does.
i would consider something cleaner than flakes, and feed every second or third day for a while, in conjunction with water changes to remove the nutrients the algae is feeding off of.
it seems like everyone i see having algae problems claims that their water is pristine. i bet these hobby grade test kits are not nearly as accurate as we think them to be. especially the cheaper ones.
i agree with that completely along with the algae actually feeding off the phosphate and NA

Old 09-27-2011, 07:19 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Alittle off topic but hows you mandarin?? Is it captive bred? Is it eating prepared?

Old 09-27-2011, 05:25 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
What do you use to test with?
i guess you directed that to me? i use the same as you- API for some stuff and salifert for other things.
i believe many of the API test kits to be inaccurate. especially nitrates- it seems no one has detectable nitrates, and yet they have terrible algae issues, and overfeed heavily (not pointing out anyone specific, just making a broad statement).
Old 09-27-2011, 06:02 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowsdime View Post
Alittle off topic but hows you mandarin?? Is it captive bred? Is it eating prepared?
My Mandarin seems to be doing fine, I've had him for over a month now. He was captive bred and the LFS said he was eating frozen brine. However, I haven't seen him eat any of the brine shrimp that I feed the tank with. I see him picking at the live rock all the time so I'm guessing he's finding things he likes to eat in there.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:07 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

So I guess I am just going to reduce my feedings and light times and keep doing 10% water changes every week. I also ordered two sea hares in the meantime.

Do you guys think it could also be the supplements I am adding for the coral? I've been adding "Liquid Reef" calcium 2 times a week and Kent Marine "Coral-Vite" once a week.

Is that too much? Are those even necessary? I use Instant Ocean "Reef Crystals" salt btw.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:58 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
i guess you directed that to me? i use the same as you- API for some stuff and salifert for other things.
i believe many of the API test kits to be inaccurate. especially nitrates- it seems no one has detectable nitrates, and yet they have terrible algae issues, and overfeed heavily (not pointing out anyone specific, just making a broad statement).
Yes, that was directed at you. Sorry. Should have quoted you.

I'm kinda getting nervous bout when my fish go to my dt, cause there's no food in there yet lol and I have terrible algae too.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:01 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmond View Post
So I guess I am just going to reduce my feedings and light times and keep doing 10% water changes every week. I also ordered two sea hares in the meantime.

Do you guys think it could also be the supplements I am adding for the coral? I've been adding "Liquid Reef" calcium 2 times a week and Kent Marine "Coral-Vite" once a week.

How many corals do you have in your tank? From what I understand, you shouldn't have to supplement unless you have alot. Does your tests show you need to add supplements?

Is that too much? Are those even necessary? I use Instant Ocean "Reef Crystals" salt btw.
No clue about Instant Ocean at the moment.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:44 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i would not add coral vite or anything else unless you are sure your water is deficient in it. water changes and enjoy your tank.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
Yes, that was directed at you. Sorry. Should have quoted you.

I'm kinda getting nervous bout when my fish go to my dt, cause there's no food in there yet lol and I have terrible algae too.
Have you tested the water you are using befor adding it to the tank,are you using tap water?
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I have run a algae turf scrubbing system for almost 20 years now. It's purpose is to use algae to strip the water of nutrients. It takes practically undetectable amounts of nutrients to grow algae, even with a system like this. So don't be surprised if your test kit reads zero. I grow tons of algae in the scrubber, but still have to watch it as even a little over feeding will set off algae in my display tank.

Tags
algae, hair, hair algae, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com