Originally Posted by senemedar
Yes... If we could back to the root as I have the same problem - the algae is everywhere!! I only feed my fishes once a day in the evening - is it ok for them to not have any food for a day or two? Also - if I leave the light off for a couple days, won't it hurt my plants? (Not that they are fine now with algae everywhere...)
Also I read something about more Nitrates in the tank - won't it hurt the fishes? What's the correct level for Nitrates, as mine is close to 0...
You want nitrites, ammonia, nitrates, etc. as close to zero as humanly possible. Plants love nitrates. But algae is a plant and it loves the nitrates too.
Look at your makeup water, be sure it isn't loaded with organics.
Reduce your feeding schedule
Reduce the duration of lighting during the day
Add a protein skimmer if you already don't have one, be sure it is running efficiently
Look into a lawnmower blenny or other efficient green algae eaters.