Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-10-2004, 10:13 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

is my old FW tank safe for SW?

I was told that if I'd ever used any kind of copper medication (like malachite green, in my case) in a tank, that the copper would remain behind, and be deadly toxic to any invertebrates (and corals?) I tried to keep.

The bottom silicone in the tank is indeed stained with malachite green, from a 6 day ich treatment.

Is my tank a deathzone to inverts? I'm totally new to SW, and plan to eventually add a few inverts (whatever I can have with 4wpg of power compacts over a 29gallon).

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Old 06-10-2004, 01:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Personally I'd play it safe and not use that tank.. you can always save it as a hospital tank if you need to use meds again.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 01:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'll 2nd that.

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 01:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Me 3! Why take the chance. You can come by a 29g pretty cheap.
Old 06-10-2004, 03:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well if there is a chance of copper poisoning, then no I'm not going to risk it. If there wasn't a risk I wasn't going to buy another tank I didn't really need.

Thanks for the 2nd opinion. I'll be back with more questions soon enough, but not until I've read the 2 books that'll arrive tomorrow. One's some Saltwater Aquarium: step by step guid, and the other is the well known Conscientious Marine Aquarist (I could be totally wrong about both titles, but they were recommened by every site I asked on)
Old 06-11-2004, 03:10 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

you may be happier in the long run, you can get a 55-75g so cheap these days, with some shopping around...you'd be really limited in fish types and quantity in a 29g sw also the tank will be more stable and easier to maintain in a 55+ g
Old 06-11-2004, 11:30 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Unfortunately I severly lack room for a 55gallon. I currently have a 75gallon planted tank on the first floor of our 100+ year old home... and the only place to put a 55gallon is in the same room, and I won't because of the weight.

I know 29gallons is kind of the smallest size tank i can go with that won't be a nightmare to maintain good water quality. That's why I'm considering a sump/refugiem setup. I have a spare 5 gallon tank, but I'm guessing I shouldn't bother unless I get a 10gallon sump right?

I know I'll only be able to have a couple small fish, but that's ok. I'm mainly in to planted FW tanks...so this 29 is really just an initiall stepping stone. In the long run, I could end up converting my 75 to SW in a few years, and resell all that fluorite to afford LR
Old 06-12-2004, 06:31 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A 5 gal sump would help some. A 10 gal would be much better. I would make it as large as possible. My sump take up the entire cabinet below. But I have other equip stored in my powder room converted to a fish room.
Old 06-12-2004, 06:49 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
and the only place to put a 55gallon is in the same room, and I won't because of the weight.
100yr old houses are built better if anything! really, 500lb is only 2-3 men standing in one spot...I wouldn't be concerned about that even with the 75 in the room...would you worry about 7-8 people standing in the room?

also, there must be a way to sterilize / clean that 29g you have...try some solvent with a rag, or you could recaulk the tank...i feel the tank is reusable, but if you're going to buy, I'd buy bigger!
Old 06-12-2004, 11:03 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
I know I'll only be able to have a couple small fish, but that's ok. I'm mainly in to planted FW tanks...so this 29 is really just an initiall stepping stone. In the long run, I could end up converting my 75 to SW in a few years, and resell all that fluorite to afford LR
I doubt you'll be able to wait that long to upgrade... it only took me a couple of weeks and im tired of my 30 gallon, I then bought a 65 which should last me for a while. It is rather costly, the price to maintain from 30 gallon to a 65 more than tripples if not four folds... but it's all worth it... you have everyone here to support u with all your questions and suggestions on where to buy the high quality stuff for cheap.

Good Luck

EHEIM 2215 Canister Filter, AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer w preskim box, 36" PFO Lights with 2x 250W 10K MH and 2x96W T3 Actinics, JBJ Arctica Chiller 1/10 hp w/ Eheim 1250 Pump, Turbo-Twist 3x UV Sterilizer 9W, (1) Yellow Tang
(1)Potter's Angel, (2) Skunk Cleaner Shrimps,(1) Eibli's Angel, (26) Turbo Snails,(10) Nassarius Snails, (2) Sand sifting starfish
(1) Regal "hippo" Tang, (20) Hermit Crabs, (1) Coral Beauty, (1) Pygmy Angel, (1) Serpent Star, (1) Brittle Star, Pumping Xenia, Finger Leather, Yellow Polyps, Green Star Polyps, Colt Leather, Mushrooms, (2) Maxijet 600 PH and (2) Maxijet 1200 PH
Am I Overstocked Yet?
evenings is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safe, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com