is my pump too much??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sango

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 90 gal tank and in my wet/dry i have a mag-drive pump that pumps 700 gph. Where ever i point it it keeps pushing the sand away from the glass. Is this pump too much for my tank

Is it too much? I don't know...but I have some suggestions.

Insert a ball valve onto the outflow of the pump. That way you can reduce the pump output if you want to.

Split the outflow into two pipes so that each pipe has only 1/2 as much water coming out of it. This would probably be good for your tank currents in any case. Often these two pipes are aimed sort of at each other to mix up the water flow in the tank.

have it blow the length of the tank ! thats not even close to being to much ! my buddies 90 we use a quiteone pump that pumps 1000 gph into the tank !

The thing is its a pre drilled tank and i do have it pointed away from the sand.. I have it pretty much flowing on the top of the water, but when it hits the glass it shoots down and there goes the sand

Oh also i just started my tank yesterday and it is still pretty cloudy from me putting in the water. How long should it be like this? Thanks in advance

it could take up to a week for the clowdy ness to go away. maby more. just be pationt. i like brads idea to split the out put. might be a bit much to implement though. a ball valve would do nicely though if nothing else is posible. what if you aimed it up twards the top at a small angle? or makeing the output larger

Pump is acutally undersized IMO. If this is a new tank then having sand blow around is somewhat normal as there is no bactera to 'hold' the grains together.

Back
Top Bottom